cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email on Mobile Phone (Samsung GT-S5230 Tocco Lite)

Yardley

Email on Mobile Phone (Samsung GT-S5230 Tocco Lite)

I've been very pleased to be able to use the built in email client on my phone to access my googlemail account, despite apparently O2 not supporting it on pay as you go. This apparently is the problem why I can't download plusnet mail on it, despite being able to send.
I wondered if a Java email client would work with Plusnet and if anyone could recommend one, perhaps with settings too.
Before I found I could use my email client to access gmail the google mobile jave app worked reasonably well.,
I have managed to download one not tied to googlemail but it still wants my providers smpt address and maybe this is where the problem is. Sorry I'm not too technical, can anyone help.  Is there a way around this.
Its only for occassional use by the way.
Thanks
Yardley

3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Email on Mobile Phone (Samsung GT-S5230 Tocco Lite)

Quote from: Yardley
I've been very pleased to be able to use the built in email client on my phone to access my googlemail account, despite apparently O2 not supporting it on pay as you go. This apparently is the problem why I can't download plusnet mail on it, despite being able to send.

Are you using the O2 server for sending mail? That should be the 'SMTP address' mentioned below.
Quote from: Yardley
I have managed to download one not tied to googlemail but it still wants my providers smpt address and maybe this is where the problem is. Sorry I'm not too technical, can anyone help.  Is there a way around this.

The SMTP server is the one you use for sending mail, so I would expect the same one you used in the set-up mentioned above to work.
David
Yardley

Goodness knows what was the matter with O2 pay as you go, other than being told email is just not supported for that category of customer.
However, persistence has paid off. I unlocked the phone, switched to Asda Mobile (Vodafone!) and Plusnet mail works a treat! As well as gmail as it always did, seems to be not smpt dependent.
Asda settings are as follows: Smpt server  "send.vodafone.net",  no smpt prefix, and the incoming one "mail.plus.net" on ports 25 and 110
The other good thing is data cost is £0.20/Mb as oppossed to £3.00!!
For a light user like me that will even beat the £0.30/day offers
mikemoreton

I,ve got a Samsung Genio touch and have tried several suggestions to get my Plusnet email to work but keep getting a "failed to connect" message. Hs anyone got any ideas?