Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email limits

colintivy
Rising Star

Email limits

Hi folks!
I have had the odd telling off about the number of recipients I have listed for some occasional FWs. I cannot find any statement of a limit on such things. Indeed I have been included mass FWs from others that are far more numerous. Are these a matter for individual ISPs and their hard/software? I have a fairly long list of addresses but I would not think that it is unduly so. I commend the writers of the PN email Address book, much more flexible that Bill's version!

colintivy  Smiley
9 REPLIES 9
ramidoodle
Grafter

Re: Email limits

I'm very sure there is a limit. as a long list of email recipients is subject to tarpitting I suppose.
I'm really sorry but I can't remember the exact number of recipients allowed per session or email Sad
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: colintivy
I have had the odd telling off about the number of recipients I have listed for some occasional FWs.

Telling off from who?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

samuria
Grafter

People often do this forwarding emails to loads of people and it can be an offense. If the information has the senders personnel data on it and you forward it it can be used by spammers and any other undesirables. If you forward an email the headers often say were its come from and this may give you the account information to break into there account.
If its a company you work for and our forwarding emails then DATA Protection act may apply.
Its bad practice any way 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not trying to teach  how to suck eggs.  But are you putting the recipient in as BCC  (Blind copy) because you should.  that way it doesnt do as Sumuria suggests.
I do have trouble with two people who forward e-mail to me.  one my sister in law.  the mails has already been through one prison, numerous city firms etc.  cant get her to strip them off before sending - most I have seen so far on one e-mail is over 50
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I've had problems with several senders re the misguided practice of stuffing the 'To:' field full of addresses.
Sending this http://www.kitz.co.uk/tech/emailrant.htm usually does the trick.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
artmo
Aspiring Champion

That's good advice 4candles.  it's so easy to get forwards that contain 100 or more email addresses.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Aye, kitz is a great resource.  Smiley
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
artmo
Aspiring Champion

My old ISP had a limit of 15 email addresses you could send to.  After that the system just slowed down and refused to deliver mail.  I managed to get my limit increased to 25 but even that was not enough for some of my mailings.
colintivy
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
Quote from: colintivy
I have had the odd telling off about the number of recipients I have listed for some occasional FWs.

Telling off from who?
Hi Bob,
An error message from mail server says "Too many recipients" but does not say how many! I have had this on several occasions. I usally only have one to recipient and generally use BCC for the rest.
colintivy Undecided