Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email attachments

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Email attachments

Have you tried this as suggested above - also try changing the Security Zone to Internet Zone
Open Outlook Express
Click Tools, Options, Security tab.
Uncheck:
"Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus".
Uncheck:
"Block images and other external content in HTML email"
Click Apply
Click OK.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

was it a .doc or .pdf file, you need a program to open those, that why we have asked for either a sample or screen print, as it is you dont give us any clues
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Alternatively, give a temporary email address and I can email you a test attachment.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: west
As for thunderbird - I have read the set up guide - more than once. The problem is that the site will not allow me to input anything at all ... 

If you mean Plusnet's website, that is not where you set it up. You need to actually run Thunderbird on your PC and set up the details from within Thunderbird. The guide on the website is showing you what you have to do on your own PC. Does that make sense?
However, for the moment I would suggest that moving to Thunderbird may be trying too many different things at once. Let's take it one step at a time. Try what Oldjim said first, and we'll see if we can get your existing mail client working. If we draw a blank there then we will have a go with Thunderbird later.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

The Thunderbird forum is excellent for getting answers to any queries with the product.  If you give Thunderbird a try remember this if you are still having trouble.
west

Yes done all that - but still have the same problem. Plusnet Support keep claiming that this is a software problem and they cannot help. However they are unable to say what the problem is or how it might be resolved.
West
James
Grafter

It *is* a software problem.  It shouldn't have anything to do with your broadband service at all.
Have you considered uninstalling Thunderbird and setting it up again from scratch?
Note that you may need to take copies of a couple of your folders to save the emails you want to keep.
Denzil
Grafter

Jameseh is right, it has to be an issue on your PC. Plusnet are not really responsible for offering technical support on your PC, but bear with us, and the staff and customers here will do our best to sort it out.
Here is something to try. Right click on the link in the email and click where it says something like Copy link location.  Go to your web browser, right click in the address bar at the top and click Paste. Then press Enter. If the page opens OK in the browser then at least we know the link itself works OK.
If that does work, then try following the instructions on this page. It could be there is no default browser set, so Outlook Express doesn't know what to use to open the link. If so, this should fix it.
west

Thanks for the various suggestions , all of which I have followed up. Tried what Denzil suggested but a right clicking on the link does not reveal anything like a copy link indicator.
I have been going direct to Thunderbird site, have unistalled but still cannot input anything . Nothing seems to work - perhaps I should do what plusnet support say an get an expert in
West. 
James
Grafter

West,
Don't suppose you could get a couple of screenshots of what actually happens?
We might still be able to help Smiley
west

Not sure how to do that but I dont see how this will help. I have explained what happens. The only thing  I would mention is that when I click on a  link the screen freezes and I have to return to the home page and then start again.
West
SparckZero
Grafter

West,
Which internet browser are you using at the moment?
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: west
Not sure how to do that but I dont see how this will help. I have explained what happens. The only thing   I would mention is that when I click on a  link the screen freezes and I have to return to the home page and then start again.

You haven't explained.
You just say it doesn't work.

west

I may have partly solved my problem with accessing links - following up on an earlier suggestion. Going onto  Internet Explorer to access an Email. Then right clicking on the link.and then clicking on favourites .I then need to go onto the plusnet site, click on favourites and then I can see link information.  If anyone has any idea as to why I need to go through this clumsy procedure, I would be grateful.
West
VileReynard
Hero

It would be really useful if you could provide chapter and verse on an actual example.
I strongly suspect that you don't need to go to the Plusnet site specifically - any old site would do (your home page for example).
Can I strongly suggest that you create a temporary email and tell people e.g. me Grin about it.
I will send you some attachments (and you will try to open them).
Finally, you can delete this temporary email address.