Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Client

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Email Client

Currently using MS Outlook 2007 on W 10, it works well but can be slow, some times takes 3 minutes or more to download a few KB emails from PN. Don't think it's a PN problem because there is a definite lag when ever I want to delete emails.

So just wondering what is out there these days someone could recommend I try?

I did try Firefox some time ago but couldn't get on with it.

14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Email Client

I don't understand the question

Outlook 2007 has nothing to do with your browsert

I don't use Outlook 2007 but Outlook 2003 on Win 10 and there are no problems with downloading emails and deleting emails delete almost instantly

However there may be one difference - I use POP3 and leave the emails on the server and if you use IMAP then that may explain the problem

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

IMAP is what you should be using really for any mailclient, as it means you can access your email on any device on any client.

POP3 resuts in mail being physically downloaded to that particulat device.

however, never IMAP or POP3 should result in the mail client being slow.
your issues appear to be computer/laptop based - you might want to look into that first.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The reason I use POP3 rather than IMAP is because I download all my emails to a master machine with regular backups and at that point they are removed from the server but that is down to my peculiar system where I only have two machines accessing them

One problem with IMAP is that - as far as I am aware - is that you have to leave the emails on the server until Plusnet archive them because it uses to much space and the only way round that is to manually move the emails into a local folder if you want to keep them

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

that seems to suggest that plusnets email system is rather clunky, and only confirms my stance that no-one should every use an ISP supplied email account.

with IMAP the mail always remains on the server, but it seems that plusnet don't have the resources to run such a service that properly supports IMAP.
Mav
Fixes: 515

I have a setup that seems similar to OJ's.

I use POP3 on all my machines but all my mobile devices are set to leave the emails on the server. Then when I am back at the PC I have Outlook 2007 set to remove the emails from the server.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

paul_blitz
Rising Star

I have 2 PCs and one mobile phone accessing my emails

My desktop PC is set up with POP3, and is set to (a) leave emails on the server, but (b) remove them from the server when they are put in the "deleted" folder, and (c) remove them from the server after 7 days.

So, if it's junk, and I delete it, it's gone, otherwise it's still online for 7 days for the other 2 devices.

My mobile phone uses IMAP: my use of the mobile phone is to give me quick access to new emails, and not to have to manually keep deleting emails from the phone. IMAP does this for me, because after 7 days (or it got deleted on the desktop PC) it automatically disappears from my phone.

My laptop uses POP3: I treat this as a secondary way to view mail. I get a 7 day window to download my emails, but I do then have to manually manage the emails. The big reason I use POP3 is so that I can keep certain important / relevant emails on the laptop... I wouldn't be able to do that with IMAP. This (like the phone) is set to NEVER delete emails from the server... that is the job of the desktop PC, and ensure that ALL emails go to the desktop Pc (which is, of course, backed up)

In terms of clients: I use WLM on the desktop (although might move to Outlook at some point), Outlook on the Laptop, and a mix of BlueMail (2 accounts) and K9 (1 account) on the Android mobile.... currently "evaluating" both to see which I'll use in the future (currently preferring Bluemail).

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@Oldjim wrote:

Outlook 2007 has nothing to do with your browsert 

If memory serves firefox has its own email client.

Like you I use Outlook 2003 and it can be sluggish for some things but its lightningly fast for downloading headers via imap as it launches approx 10 - 15 imap threads and grabs them all together. IMAP is pretty slow when thats done one at a time in a single thread.. took me a few hours to work out why i couldn't get my own imap client to work faster and then realised i needed to use threads after studying Outlooks behaviour.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7up
Community Veteran

@Oldjim wrote:

The reason I use POP3 rather than IMAP is because I download all my emails to a master machine with regular backups and at that point they are removed from the server but that is down to my peculiar system where I only have two machines accessing them

One problem with IMAP is that - as far as I am aware - is that you have to leave the emails on the server until Plusnet archive them because it uses to much space and the only way round that is to manually move the emails into a local folder if you want to keep them

If you delete emails in outlook with IMAP it marks them as deleted (hence a line through the details) but won't delete them from the server until you hit purge:

screenshot_484

Once you hit purge the client sends the purge command to the server and deletes the marked emails. In some webmails like yahoo they vanish the moment you hit delete in Outlook (without purging) so there is room for confusion on this issue.

@chenks76 wrote:
that seems to suggest that plusnets email system is rather clunky, and only confirms my stance that no-one should every use an ISP supplied email account.

with IMAP the mail always remains on the server, but it seems that plusnet don't have the resources to run such a service that properly supports IMAP.

That depends on your view. Many people think once you hit delete thats it - gone. With imap (and indeed pop3) the protocol means that you have to explicitly purge the mailbox after marking items for deletion. Most pop3 clients do this automatically however for some reason with IMAP it tends to be left down to the user.

@chenks76 wrote:
POP3 resuts in mail being physically downloaded to that particulat device..

While there is truth in that, the pop3 protocol does support peeking for headers so that you don't have to download the mail to know its there. That means you can still delete it without downloading it - depending on the client you use.

Mayfly
All Star

Yes I'm sure Firefox had it's only email client but it was some time ago.

I use pop3 on my prime pc so all emails are in one place but imap on my tablet and phone so I can read them when out and about.

I use to use Outlook 2003 but up graded when I got a W10 machine.

The slowness may just be a thing between Outlook 2007 & W10.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It's increasingly difficult to find a decent free email client now that Microsoft has given up on providing one.  And also increasingly difficult to find an ISP motivated to provide a decent email service.  As an extreme example, anyone still using an old Freeserve email address would have seen it abolished at the end of May.  

Oldjim
Resting Legend

@Mayfly @7up

Firefox does  not have an email client but you may be getting confused with Thunderbird which is provided by Mozilla https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/

7up
Community Veteran

I think you may be right @Oldjim but it is an easy mistake to make and most people like yourself would grasp the message that is being conveyed.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

indeed it is but given the many suggestions re Thunderbird on here it isn't too obvious that there is any link to Firefox hence my correction which was intended to help the poster as that seems to be the only decent free email client

Mayfly
All Star

Thanks All - I think you were right OJ it was Thunderbird I tried. I'll download it again and give it another shot.