Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eeeeeee I hav a problem ( Now SOLVED !)

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Eeeeeee I hav a problem ( Now SOLVED !)

Well, I could not have done that title better.....
You see, the letter e is playing up.... most times it works ok....as it has so far... but sometims whn I type. it does not show... if you look carefully on the last few words you can see it is missing, not because I missed it but because th computer missed it...
now. i have tried hitting the key harder, but that does not work
i have blown under the key to se if something is stuck
i have used a stiff brush to get under the key to clear any objects.
sometimes when I press it just once for ( say ) google and ebay... it repats itself just as it did on my title... but often when it does not appear on screen, i need to press another couple of keys, delete them and then go back and try the e again... so it is random... as you can see,   i am typing about 30 wpm on here so it is not a question of once in a while. most of the time it works....
anyone got any ideas... it is annoying me... especially as the  letter is th most used in the english language....
13 REPLIES 13
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Eeeeeee I hav a problem

If it's a laptop, plug in an external keyboard and see if that cures the issue. If it does then replace the laptop keyboard.
If it's a desktop - well you know the score ......
My laptop has never been the same after spilling a cup of tea over it - I pulled out the battery, flung it across the room upside down then stripped it down and washed the plastics / keyboard in the dishwasher while rinsing the motherboard with distilled water and blow drying it.
I miss the occasional letter as the keyboard came off the worst out of the tea incident (well I got burns down my arms from the hot tea but they have healed).
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If its a desktop k/b then remove the cover and clean the contact side of the board with a solvent based cleaner (IPA or similar). If it had been more keys then I would have said the flex-able connector was faulty/mis connecting.
NedLudd
Grafter

A tin of compressed air?
Geoff,
York.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: shutter
i have used a stiff brush to get under the key to clear any objects.

If it's a desktop keyboard you will be able to hook a bent paper clip under the key and pull it off to make sure it's totally clear underneath.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shutter
Community Veteran

Sorry, guys... forgot to say it is a Dell Inspiron laptop;.... not sure how to remove the keyboard, or key caps.....
and I don`t happen to have a spare desktop keyboard at my disposal...

as a point of interest, all the e`s on this bit of typing have worked first time no problem.... !  weird or what ! !  Undecided
picbits
Rising Star

*DONT* do what I did with my laptop and use a Dyson hoover to try and get the dust and crumbs out of the keyboard.
I lost 6 keys that morning and spent an hour retrieving them from the hoover and putting them back on !
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

e's an interesting problem.  Smiley
We are born into history and history is born into us.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Sorry, guys... forgot to say it is a Dell Inspiron laptop;.... not sure how to remove the keyboard, or key caps.....

I wouldn't bother trying to remove the caps from any laptop keyboard - you'll do more damage than good.
Instead hit ebay and find a replacement keyboard. The laptop will need to be dismantled step by step according to the service manual by someone who is competent at laptop repairs but assuming you can either DIY or find someone who can do it cheaply for you, you should save yourself some hassle if you supply the replacement yourself (plus a lot of annoyance of using the existing one!).
I've been there and done that with laptop keyboards.. once they're knackered there isn't much point fighting on like you can with a desktop keyboard - imo anyway.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks again, for the input, guys.... I`ll struggle on for a while.... it is really weird that it works 99% of the time then fails....I press another key then backspace that letter out and press the e and it appears... or .... sometimes when I do that the e will eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee run on.. so it must be the electronic key connection on the inside of the keyboard that is a bit dodgy...
I`ll save up for another laptop.... at least it will be an update on this machine which must be about 5 or 6 years old now... ( and in use at least 12 hours a day.. ) ...
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

It obviously depends on the exact model but replacing Dell Inspiron keyboards can be reasonably straightforward - example: http://www.insidemylaptop.com/replace-damaged-keyboard-dell-inspiron-1525-laptop/
Similarly, the cost of replacing one need not be too high - example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-Replacement-Laptop-Keyboard/dp/B003T9EDLQ
If you go here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs you may find a 'proper' manual to download (enter service tag or model details)
My Dell Vostro 1700 only requires the removal of a clip-on panel above the keyboard then the removal of three screws along the top on the keyboard which then slides upward and lifts out, there isn't even an awkward ribbon cable to worry about - the bottom of the keyboard just engages a socket.  Some models will be a lot more complicated but I'd say it's worth looking up before you decide.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
shutter
Community Veteran

W23.... Thanks very much for that....the Dell I have is an Inspiron 1545.... looks pretty much the same as the 1525 keyboard fascia plate.... and the Amazon link gives the exact replacement keyboard for under  a tenner... amazing... think I will have a go.if it gets too much of a pain in the fingers.!..
Much appreciated.  Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

Re: Eeeeeee I hav a problem ( Now SOLVED !)

Thanks to W23, and £7.95 ( inc p&p first class) I am now using my new keyboard on my laptop with no problems !..
The instruction on the linky above worked well,.. I had it open on another machine, and just scrolled thru each step... the only problem I had was trying to get the ribbon cable to seat properly and the lock bar to work... after 3 attempts I managed it...
Time taken to do the job , including my 3 tries with the ribbon cable, was about 15 minutes.
So much pleased and Many Thanks for saving me £100`s  ! ! .. Wink
7up
Community Veteran

Re: Eeeeeee I hav a problem ( Now SOLVED !)

See, I said you'd be better off getting it replaced didn't I?
Laptops keyboards are crap for repairing - correction utter crap. They're designed as service items imo to get a bit more money out of you.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!