Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing HTML with Windows Explorer 8

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Editing HTML with Windows Explorer 8

Like a fool I updated to Internet Explorer 8 as recommended and now I regret it.  They seemed to have fixed all sorts of things that were not broken.
But the worst, which is causing me apoplexy, is that I can no longer edit my HTML code simply like I used to be able to do in IE7 and before, namely View>Source and then just do it.  That no longer works as all you can do is view; you can no longer edit.
Having Googled for a solution, I found a recommendation to use File>Edit with Notepad.  But in my version, I do not get that choice; all I get is Edit with Word which is no good, because Word is full of spaghetti code and I prefer to write and control the HTML myself.
So how on earth do you edit HTML the old way with IE* ?  There are no instructions, nothing in the Help files, no defaults to Notepad that you can change.
It is so frustrating.  What was wrong with IE7 in the first place ? Angry
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Editing HTML with Windows Explorer 8

As a very inexperienced HTML coder I just open the index.html file in Notepad and change it as needed then upload the new version using FireFTP
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks for that. 
Actually, in the meantime, I have answered my own question.  I discovered that if you simply "RIGHT" click anywhere on the page, Edit with Notepad is offered, and thereafter it is just like it used to be with IE7.  But why change it ????  And why not list it in the Help?
I have found so many other irritating changes as well but then I suppose I am a stick-in-the-mud.
Thanks for the help.
mal0z
Grafter

why why ever bother editing , with IE
much better tools around.
Mozilla's Seamonkey - which originated in Netscape html editing tool - like their Firefox browser.
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
and you really, really should test your site in a browser other than IE - such as Firefox, Safari, Opera