Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

EasyBCD

Has anyone used this program or is there a better way
I have the following system
Vista 64 bit on one drive which is active and has the boot manager
Windows 7 64 bit on a second drive
I would like to move the boot manager to the Windows 7 drive and then remove the Vista partition completely

5 REPLIES 5
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: EasyBCD

I have used EasyBCD.  It's quite simple to use but I'm not sure if it would do what you want.
If you disconnect the Vista drive, boot from your Windows 7 disc, go to Repair your Computer and ask it to Startup Repair your Windows 7 partition I think it should be able to make it bootable.  Then change the boot order of your hard drives in the BIOS and, hopefully, hey presto.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The following should do what you want, but it has been a while since I did this so I have to throw in a disclaimer that you do so at your own risk.
Start by booting in to Windows 7,  and if you have any free space create a new Primary Partition from the free space (about 200MB) on your Windows 7 disk. Format the partition as NTFS and assign it a drive letter and mark the partition as Active.
From a Win 7 command window enter :
bcdboot X:\Windows /s Y:

Where X: is your Windows 7 disk and Y: is the letter you assigned to the new partition.
You now need to reboot your PC and this will boot directly to Windows 7.
If it it your intention to remove the Vista disk you may want to shut down and physically remove it at this point.
You can find the reference to bcdboot here
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I think what Mook suggests is doing explicitly what I thought you might persuade Windows to do automatically for you.  The only problem with Mook's method is that you end up with a 'visible' boot partition that has a drive letter assigned to it whereas it's probably best to keep it out of sight and out of mind.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: ReedRichards
The only problem with Mook's method is that you end up with a 'visible' boot partition that has a drive letter assigned

I don't think there is anything stopping you from removing this assignment once the machine has booted, but I'll stand corrected in my orthopedic slippers if I'm wrong.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

So what worked, Oldjim?