cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESMTP server not available (blacklisted by local policy) - cant send email

FIXED
ChrisH22

ESMTP server not available (blacklisted by local policy) - cant send email

About a month ago my email stopped sending via the plusnet mail server.

I registered for a free mail server and all works fine through that mail server. 

After a bit of further searching i found the post on checking your access to the mailserver via telnet. I get the error :-

554 avasout-peh-002 ESMTP server not available (blacklisted by local policy)

I have also tried a blacklist checker on my ip address and it reports that my ip address is blacklisted by dnsbl.sorbs.net

Is there any way to fix this? Can i get a new IP address or do I have to leave plusnet?

The free mailserver is ok as a short term fix on my main PC but I cant support the rest of the family like this!

Mail does send ok from tablets etc when we are away from home, so it is just tied to the IP address not the account.

Cheers,

Chris

11 REPLIES 11
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: ESMTP server not available (blacklisted by local policy) - cant send email

Hi Chris,

Just to confirm, are you trying to send mail using relay.plus.net and the rest of the settings explained Here?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ChrisH22

Thanks for replying, yes i am using relay.plus.net and the normal settings. 

They have been working ok for the past 10 years or so, and the settings also work ok when I am not at home, i.e. accessing via an alternative IP address.

Cheers,

Chris

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me Chris,

Sorry for the delay. Could you private message me a full copy of the headers of the email you’re trying to send through relay which is being rejected?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@ChrisH22 just to clarify...

When you are experiencing this problem, you are defintely assigned your Plusnet IP address? i.e. if you browse here, your Plusnet IP is displayed?

You have tried telnetting to the server whilst assigned your Plusnet IP address using a command line as follows:-

telnet relay.plus.net 25

And on pressing Enter you are immediately greeted with the message '554 avasout-peh-002 ESMTP server not available (blacklisted by local policy)' ?

If both of the above are true, then the headers of the email are irrelevant as the issue is ocurring before any of that stuff comes into play.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ChrisH22

Hi Bob,

yes the issue only happens when  I am on my plusnet IP address. If I switch off Wi-Fi on my phone so it sends via the mobile network, I can still send. It also works fine if I use a different mail server to send mail.

I agree the telnet test shows that the connection to the mail server is failing, so the details of the mail are not relevant.

cheers,

Chris

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Thanks @ChrisH22 

I poked some ribs today, so I'm hoping you won't be suffering for much longer.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Hi Chris, this should hopefully be sorted now for you. Could you let us know if you can send mail now? 

We've unblocked your IP address, it looks like it was on a spam list for one reason or another. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ChrisH22

Hi

Happy New year and many thanks! That has resolved the issue and I mail is now working normally again.

I also checked that I could telnet onto relay.plus.net and that worked as expected.

Thanks Again,

Chris

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Happy new year Chris. 

Awesome, I’m glad to see you’re able to send mail now Thumbs_Up

No problem, let us know if there’s anything else you’d need help with Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DanceDrum84

Hi @Gandalf 

I wonder if you could help me like you helped Chris - I have got the same problem and receiving the same message 'ESMTP server not available (blacklisted by local policy' when sending emails from our public IP address. 

What is the quickest/best way to get my IP off the blacklist?

Thanks!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello,

Just to confirm, do you get this error when you follow the steps explained here > https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/ESMTP-server-not-available-blacklisted...

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button