Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E mail to Lap top

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

E mail to Lap top

I have a new Laptop with Windows 7 which I use sometimes, my main computer is Windows xp  with O E 6 where my main E mail goes how can I get the e mail on the Laptop other than Plusnet Webmail  Which would be the best way to do this??? Thank you
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: E mail to Lap top

Change the main computer to use IMAP instead of POP3 and use IMAP on the laptop. Both PCs and webmail will then stay in full sync with each other (including sent items and moving emails in to folders).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
stathe
Rising Star

So how do I do that  ?Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero

In OE you need to set up a new email account.
Where you enter the Email Server Names select IMAP from the My incoming server is a xxx server.
The Incoming mail server is imap.plus.net (instead of pop3.plus.net).
The outgoing server is the same as normal.
Note you must disable the POP3 account - if you download emails using POP3 and delete them from the server they will disappear from IMAP as well.
stathe
Rising Star

Thanks for that ,but as I dont want to lose all my old mails ( Pop) I will have to think about it Kind Regards  E
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have the opposite, A laptop on XP and OE  with a lot of keepable pop3 mail, now got a Media PC with Win 7,  I do use Thunderbird with IMAP, but would like a Pop3 on that machine, (The laptop is on its last legs,)  how do I migrate and to what, Thunderbird doesnt seem to let you use differrent outgoing names
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Are your existing emails will be in your Local Folders on your PC? If so creating an IMAP account will create a new set of folders.
If the existing emails are in folders for the account you could move or copy them to the local folders first.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The win 7 machine is very new to me, but I have seen it said that OE isnt available, only Hotmail. I can probably find the folder on the Laptop with all the e-mails and copy them over, but can you send e-mails via Thunderbird with different names, I currently have 5 mail box names on OE
Denzil
Grafter

W7 doesn't come with an email client by default, but the MS option would be Windows Mail, which is basically OE by another name.
It is easy to set up multiple accounts on Thunderbird, though, and each account can have its own 'from' details. I do that at work so I can send and receive emails from the charity I work with, as well as work ones.