cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate file finder

Mav
Fixes: 515

Duplicate file finder

I did a search here but couldn't see any previous recommendations...
I used to use a free program called Duplicate File Finder which worked well  although it hasn't been supported for a few years.
It refuses to run under W7 64bit so I am now looking for a free alternative. Does anyone have any views on what's good or  what's rot out there?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES 6
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Duplicate file finder

Hi mav,
I haven't used anything like this myself but google brings up plenty of alternatives, Here's one I found, Don't know how good It Is though.
http://www.tucows.com/preview/604148
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Mav

Yeah, I found loads on Google.
I'm concerned by the effectiveness of of them - I don't want to end up losing the the original file as well as the duplicates by using dodgy software that's why I was looking for some kind of recommendation.
I went through a similar process when I found the above-mentioned prog. Can't remember now what swayed me towards it.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well that's why I have suggested tucows, They have good reputation I'm sure.
Edit, Its 93%popular, Here Is a link to the site directly, Check It out. http://www.mindgems.com/products/Fast-Duplicate-File-Finder/Fast-Duplicate-File-Finder-About.htm
Steve
Seasoned Pro

There's also one from Ausologics  http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/duplicate-file-finder/
Mav

Thanks.
I've downloaded both to have a gander at.  Smiley
The Auslogics Duplicate File Finder lets me down as you are limited to the filetypes you can search for or all which could take an inordinately long time to perform.
Fast Duplicate File Finder doesn't even let you choose filetypes without buying the pro version Sad
WIth my previous program I was able to select any or multiple folders/drives, edit and add any filetypes I wished, restrict files sizes between two values and also could search for duplicate dates, file sizes, contents, etc. So was very powerful.
With thousands of photos (particularly) collected over years and spread over several drives the ability to restrict search criteria is very important to me.
Ah well, back to the serach  Roll_eyes

Mav

Just to update...
I perceveered with Auslogics Duplicate File Finder and it seems to do the job well.
Further searches found some good recommendations.
So, for now, I'm sticking with it Smiley