cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duel Boot Vista/7

briston
Aspiring Pro

Duel Boot Vista/7

OK so I am behind but.... Have Vista on one physical HD and 7 on another physical HD. I need to be able to boot into one or the other at boot. I can see how this should be done by partitioning a HD but not when there is 2 physical drives. Any help please?
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Duel Boot Vista/7

Assuming you install Vista first installing 7 would automatically create a dual boot with the primary boot controller in the Vista partition but you would need to make the Vista drive the first boot drive in bios
If you didn't do that then you would need to edit the bootloader file in your primary boot disk http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_vista_and_windows_7_vista_installed_first.htm?page=4
briston
Aspiring Pro

Vista was already on one HD. When I went to install 7 I had to chose which drive I wanted it on. This I did, not the same one as Vista. It installed but did not offer me a bootloader, presumably because it was not aware of another OS.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It should have done.
When you boot do you go straight in Windows 7 rather than Vista.
If so it is likely that your Vista drive is no longer the primary boot drive in bios
Run this program msconfig and see what is there in the boot menu
briston
Aspiring Pro

Thanks s much. Problem solved. You were correct. Slight adjustment in msconfig and all is well.