Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual operating system

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Dual operating system

I Know that it is possible to have a system set up to boot into an alternative OS. Is it possible to have a set up that allows you to boot into windows 7 32  or windows 7 64 bit ?
Why might I want to do this you may ask, well if you look at the microsoft website that shows what software/hardware will work with windows 7 it's interesting to note that some things work with the 32 bit version but not the 64.
In  an earlier post several people gave good reasons why they used 64 bit version & using Photomatix and Lightroom it would be useful to me, equally some other software which can be used on 32  cannot be used on 64, hence my reason for the question.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Dual operating system

You need to have two separate Windows Licenses to do it.
Are you sure it won't work on 64 bit - the Microsoft site I looked at only indicated whether the program was 32 bit or 64 bit not whether it will or won't run on a 64 bit operating system
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I looked into setting up my computer to boot into either the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of Windows 7 but the licence agreement is very specific that this is not allowed.
artificer
Grafter

i wouldn't let that stop me.  i can't remember what the rules were regarding 98, 2000 and xp, but i dual- and triple- booted combinations of them until i switched to pclinuxos.  only 98 would run a game for me and xp had better stability overall than both of the others.  boy am i glad i'm free of the hassle, though i miss the game sometimes.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Perhaps I have misunderstood what the Windows 7 Compatibility site is saying but looking under the 32 bit tab most things have a green tick whereas under the 64 tab a number have a red cross which I assume means they will not work in this particular version of windows.
Getting back to the dual booting... I assume that if I was using Windows XP and then purchased windows 7 I could set up a dual booting system to use either program. I am aware that  either some or all versions of windows 7 have a compatibility mode which may allow old programs or Hardware to work but there is no guarantee that they will do so.
Am I therefore incorrect in thinking that if you purchased windows 7 and then went on to purchase a second license for the 64 bit version you would still not be able to run both versions on the same computer ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: gleneagles
if I was using Windows XP and then purchased windows 7 I could set up a dual booting system

Yes, but you would need to install XP first due to the new Vista/7 boot process. (My main system is like that with XPx86 and W7x64)
AFAIK you can have multiple W7 boots (if correctly licensed), e.g. 32 and 64-bit, can't recall if I actually tried it or not.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

... I assume that if I was using Windows XP and then purchased windows 7 I could set up a dual booting system to use either program.

Yes, provided you buy the full retail copy of Windows 7 (not an upgrade).

Am I therefore incorrect in thinking that if you purchased windows 7 and then went on to purchase a second license for the 64 bit version you would still not be able to run both versions on the same computer ?

Yes, you are incorrect.  You could run both versions on the same computer provided the computer is compatible with a 64 bit OS (i.e. it needs to have a 64-bit processor).