Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual layer discs

brianex121
Grafter

Dual layer discs

Anyone use DL discs regularly?  My Mesh pc has a dual layer drive
but until now I've only used DVD+R and Rw but for the additional space double layer discs would give, I'm tempted.....
5 REPLIES 5
suesykes
Grafter

Re: Dual layer discs

They are very expensive tho... its cheaper to get 2 standard DVD's... PC world had a pack of 10 for £25.99
worzel
Grafter

I agree with littlerick.
I've used dual layer discs on occasion but won't do it regularly due to the extra cost involved.
Unless there is something that needs the extra space, two standard discs are not only cheeper but will probably burn faster in the long run, as dual layer discs tend have slightly lower burn speeds for now anyway.
The other point to consider is where the break between layers comes as this can cause the likes of video files to pause slightly as the player re-aligns from one layer to the other.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If it's for video (not data) you can get software to compress 9GB to 5GB - I've got dvd95 - never tried it. However, since I've taken 700MB divx files and converted them to film length videos, which are watchable (with some obvious degradation) I wouldn't expect 9GB -> 5GB to be a problem.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Ebuyer have 10 packs for around a fiver
But when you can get a 50 spindle pack of single layer DVDs for less than a tenner and user compression software, why bother.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
brianex121
Grafter

Many thanks to all who replied; sorry abt my delay in acknolweding.
Have tried one  DL disc and it seemed OK, but interestingly, although they claim 8.5gb, I see only abt 600+ shows when checked....