cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual boot XP and Win 98SE

colintivy
Rising Star

Dual boot XP and Win 98SE

I have been frustrated in trying to adapt my scanner program which is fine in 98 but it seems impossible for XP. I have a spare internal HD in a desktop (Dell) which is empty at the moment but formatted NTFS. I have my original 98 instal CD and also another HD from an old tower which has a complete 98SE system on it.which could replace the empty one. Clearly installing the CD will give me a virginal OS and changing HDs will give me an OS that was well updated until I moved on.
Any recommendations about which route to take and drill to be able to choose which OS to use at boot-up please?
Undecided
7 REPLIES 7
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Dual boot XP and Win 98SE

As best I remember, Windows 98 cannot cope with NTFS so that may influence what you choose to do.
thejudge
Rising Star

You've probably tried this, but I'll ask anyway.
Have you tried running your scanner program in XP Compatibility Mode?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292533
colintivy
Rising Star

@ ReedRichards, I thought that would be the case, NT2000 post dated 98SE but I am quite prepared to reformat the drive to Fat 32 if I have to. Thanks.
@ thejudge, Yes I have but no dice! The screen looked more like Safe Mode but  still could not find the scanner. All this adds up to my last plan outlined in my first post. Any ideas about the the choice of methods? I fancy swapping the HDs provided that there will be problem for the choice of booting OS1 or OS2 as required. At least it should give me an OS reasonably with updates installed.
Wink
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'd be tempted to try the old HD just to see if it works!
I would put this one in (on its own to start with i.e. remove or disconnect your XP disk for now), that way you'll be able to see if it works with absolutely no risk of causing a problem with your XP HDD.
Although it's no longer a preferred method, if you have the choice in your BIOS screen to select which hard disk the system boots from then this may be a lot simpler than trying to get a working boot menu.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
colintivy
Rising Star

Once I have found my long X screwdriver I will try to swap the existing HD with the XP one, it just happens that my Dell OptiPlex GX110 (Tower on its side) has the two HDs on tandem with the XP one  on top, so it will be easy to unplug it and connect the 98SEone right  on top of it. I seem to remember that when the Dell was new it actually was supplied with 98SE in the first place!!
I have noticed that the BIOS page using F8 does, at the top, list both hard drives and presently No 1 has XP Prof in and nothing in No 2. This seems to suggest that when I instal the 98SE one in Drive 2 position (assuming that it is satisfactory) the option to select will be offered automatically. Do you agree?
Huh
colintivy
Rising Star

Further to my ramblings about this. I have installed to old Win 98 HD as master in the Dell box and, by and large it all seems to be working. Naturally during running it found various bits of hardware not installed in the old tower. and hunted for current drivers. It demanded a PS2 mouse (which does work) rather than the USB one that I usually use but surprisingly did not mind the USB Keyboard! There appears to be some USB hub software (probably from the Dell) which continues to cause my scanner not to be found which is a PITA. I remember that the old system had to have an extra driver or something to sort that from new (in 1985). A question mark sits over its listing and I wonder if anyone remembers anything about this?
Huh
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

You also have other options. You could dual boot the system by partitioning it into a NTFS and a FAT32 drive using partition magic. Then you could install a boot loader on another small dedicated partition. I used to use XOSL (eXtended Operating System Loader) which is a graphic boot loader and looks similar to windows instead of a command line based too. It's setup once installed is also GUI based and it supports other options such as hiding partitions etc. That said, if you screw up the install it can screw up your other partitions so you'd best make backups..
Second you could instead use a virtual machine such as VMWare. This allows you to run a virtual system and interact with it like you would your normal PC. You'll need to create a blank virtual drive, boot it with your CD in the drive and then setup as normal (it runs as a real machine). Once running, the VMWare player will also allow you to select which usb devices you want to connect to the virtual system -it's all clever stuff!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!