cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Boot - Reinstall Windows

Not applicable

Dual Boot - Reinstall Windows

I have a laptop with Windows Vista Basic (which I don't use and only update) dual-booting with Ubuntu.
Now I have Windows 7 which I had planned to install on the other laptop to replace Vista Business Edition.
I am getting cold feet about this now as I really like the latter and it is working well. Therefore thinking of using W7 on the dual-boot but please can someone tell me if I might get into bother with grub as I don't want to reinstall Ubuntu if I can help it? Currently the boot priority is Ubuntu first and Vista at the bottom of the list so I have to key down to select Vista when I want to update it.
2 REPLIES 2
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Dual Boot - Reinstall Windows

When you install any M$ OS it will trample your MBR, removing Grub etc. Easiest way to restore is to install it, then boot from the Ubuntu CD and do a grub install from there.
Check out the howto <a href="https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows"> <b>here</b></a>
Alternately why not move the W7/Vista to a VM? Using VirtualBox (the Sun version not the open version so you can use USB etc), that how I use my XP (when I want to print CD's)
Not applicable

Re: Dual Boot - Reinstall Windows

Yes, it is as I thought so will leave well alone for the moment. Thank you for the reply biker.