cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox

matt_2k34
Grafter

Dropbox

I Love Dropbox. I LOVE DROPBOX (getting the picture?)
What is it? for those who dont know
Basically, a storage area "online" which you can sync to (many) computers and devices..

Well i found something *cool* out just this second.
You get DOUBLE referral bonus for being a Student (500mb PER SIGN UP! )
Why would you use it?
Sync'ing files from your phone, laptop, pc all together -- its also useful for transferring files between my Mac + PC (mac, linux and windows clients are available - all freeeee)
backing up the "important" documents you cant afford to lose (free accounts are 2GB, + 250mb per friend you sign up - up ot a max of 8gb. This is 16gb if you have a school/college/university email.
Whack your .edu / .ac.uk email in here and it will assign the 'double bubble' to your DB account.
I thought i better get in quick before those who have just finished get their mailboxes terminated  Roll_eyes

Note to gamers:
Playing on several machines? no steamplay enabled? I store my gamesaves in my dropbox folder, then use junction to map the "saves" folder of the game to my DB - updates across LAN + keeps a backup online "just incase". Win  Wink

Regards
17 REPLIES 17
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Dropbox

Thanks for that Matt.  I've been using Dropbox for some time now and love it too  Cool
I work at a University so have an .ac.uk email address, so whilst I was signed in to Dropbox with my personal email address, I used your link and verified my work email and now have loads more space!
Cheers Matt
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hulls
Grafter

Hi
My son put me on to Dropbox a while ago, and I've used it loads of times.  It's great fro sharing files with friends and colleagues as well.  So if I need a slide presentation at church, I can drop it into a public folder, and send the link to the people who need it.  They can then download the files wherever they are. Great!
I can't remember off hand, what my limit is at the moment, because it goes up the more people you refer it to.
John
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Dropbox is pretty useful. Ive used it a million times when I cant be bothered to pull my usb out of my pocket  Grin
The limit is 2gb for free users with no refferals I think.
Ahwell, Its not that expensive for more dropbox storage if people need it  Smiley
matt_2k34
Grafter

Cheers Matt

Pleasure mate, glad i could help! Smiley
Ahwell, Its not that expensive for more dropbox storage if people need it

Yep, but if you havent got the money everythings too expensive. If you wanna refer people for me though feel free Wink
Regards
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Use It myself, Very handy Indeed.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

but is it secure? ... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/16/dropbox_ftc_not_good_enough/
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
VileReynard
Hero

I wouldn't trust any of this "cloud" style computing - unless you pre-encrypt all valuable files to the cloud.
I use Dropbox - but I wouldn't use it for anything I wouldn't publish openly.
For example:-

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

matt_2k34
Grafter

Well Duh?
Who in their right mind, would run a service -where people can potentially share illegal content, without having the means to monitor what its users are doing...
all valuable files to the cloud.

Define valuable - what you put on Dropbox is only viewable by people you select, and dropbox themselves (and amazon ofc, as its their datacentre) and they have to comply with the law.
I dont understand the problem.
For example:-

A picture means a thousand words, your animations mean nothing to me - and as such, i dont understand what your 'getting' at.
Regards
KenA
Grafter

It may be cool, but it's not secure.
An interesting security report here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/16/dropbox_ftc_not_good_enough/
VileReynard
Hero

Don't put a file in the cloud unless you want everyone to have read access to it.
Any security is purely illusory.

artmo
Aspiring Champion

@A Fox is Evil - love your animations - neat Smiley
There are a lot of people pushing dropbox at present.  I think they earn out of it IIRC.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I'm not " Pushing " It and even If I was Its only more space you get, I don't push anything on this forum any-more after people complained about me pushing giffgaff, The peoples loss not mine because I can " Push " It else where Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: artmo
@A Fox is Evil - love your animations - neat Smiley

The first one is a topological transformation of a torus, the second is supposed to be an illustration of the fractal nature of the world etc.

matt_2k34
Grafter

@KenA - your link had been posted above.
Don't put a file in the cloud unless you want everyone to have read access to it

Roll_eyes Dont blindly trust anything your put your stuff on... but for uni work, game saves, and many of my spreadsheets (where im up to currently watching, in TV Series... ;D) then i dont see the problem.
I think they earn out of it IIRC

Yes, they gain extra space, i apologise i wasnt trying to "push" DB - i was just wanting people to increase their current referrals to double  Huh (those who are eligible..)
Regards