cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver updates, why are they getting so large?

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Driver updates, why are they getting so large?

Doing my monthly check for new drivers and the new Nvidia drivers weigh in at 300mb in size, a year ago they were just over 200mb so what gives with over 100mb extra in a year.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
9 REPLIES 9
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Driver updates, why are they getting so large?

@rongtw
Quote from: Mav
I never install everything rather I like to choose those parts I only actually require.
Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Mav with the AMD i do a custom install  Wink so i pick which to install .
But you have to full download first , most recent AMD drivers contain " Raptor  AMD Gaming Evolved Client "  Sad  which i dont want  and other unnecessary apps 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As I have a rather old graphics card GeForce GTX 650Ti I don't bother to update the drivers
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

both full driver & program (app) packages seem to be containing a lot more optimisation defaults for various games which could well be why they are getting larger as the number of games that need different tweaks is growing
personally I always install the full thing as its easier to get rid of it all in one for a clean install next time theres an update, having said that I never upgrade until the update release bugs have been fixed (so at least 2 weeks after they get  released) since I had one bad update burn out a graphics card .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Yup , as both AMD & Nvidea seam to be doing regular driver updates , at monthly intervals with fixes for new games , and not to include the beta drivers they also put out there is a lot of downloading possible  Wink
there is a handy app to remove the old drivers  Cool from one of the guys at guru 3d  Cool and it does a good job
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html
i regularly update my drivers as it makes games better sometimes lol
nanotm
Pro

yeah I have an uninstaller program but it always bugs out if It doesn't find an entry it thinks it should from the install load .... so I found it was easier to just install stuff I don't see nay need for, the only real pain is that nvida don't announce the PhysX updates separately from there driver packages so I sometimes don't find out mines missing some vital patch until after a few system crashes ....
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

haha yes nantom i agree separate DL would be nice ,, i am still waiting for a driver that fixes Mantle  Embarrassed
PS try the link for DDU  it cleans the registry of pooh and old unwanted driver dll,s ,,, in runs in safe mode 
nanotm
Pro

I would if I wasn't already running a program that tracks and removes everything installed, but like most things it tracks the installer which makes registry entries for all the parts of the package so when you do the clickety click to remove process it goes wonky if it doesn't find all the parts and takes ages to finish the job off .... meaning the pc doesn't finish the reboot for hours and leaves me frustrated  Wink
so I learnt my lesson and now just install everything then disable the bits I don't want running, it wont be long now before those update packages are in the gigabyte size, bearing in mind how many things are bundled in and how many cards they cover ....
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

I use the DDU for graphic driver cleaning , but for everything else i use Revo uninstaller  Wink been using it for years and it cleans the reg of any left over files most leave behind .