cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive Overtemp 111

Mav
Fixes: 515

Drive Overtemp 111

Due to a few clicks and whirrs I hear during my PC's operation I decided to run Seatools and on an 80GB internal drive I got the above message.
Now, I am assuming that means the drive got hot but can't see that it reached 111C.
A Long scan showed no problems other than the above message which appears before the test begins.
A google search indicates that the drive has had its day although it appears OK at the mo. But I can't find any reference to the 111 - other people seemed to have other figures even as high as over 200 (hence why I doubt it's quoting the temperature reached).
Any clues, please?
Strange as I get the same error on a new 500GB drive that was only purchased and installed last weekend. Perhaps these tests aren't so reliable?
Each drive indicates that SMART has NOT been tripped so, surely, that is good news?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Drive Overtemp 111

Is there any airflow over the drives, or are they both next to each other in bays with little cooling? It could be that they're both heating each other as they spin. See if there's space near the HDD bays to add a fan there, perhaps, if they feel hot to touch?
Hope that helps,
Mav
Fixes: 515

There's lots of space between each HDD and each has it's own fan.
Have installed HDDInspector which shows temps ranging from 29C to 35C.
No errors or problems reported.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

srw1973

Are the drives Seagate; if they are Maxtor or any other make then the temperature figure Seatools gives is rubbish, I have even seen negative numbers Roll_eyes