Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek VPN setup - DHCP broadcasting outside my network using LAN 2 LAN VPN

dg555
Hooked

Draytek VPN setup - DHCP broadcasting outside my network using LAN 2 LAN VPN

This one has me stumped...  

I've bought a new Draytek router as I want all my home internet traffic to use a VPN service.  The idea is to use the new Draytek as a VSDL2 router and to create a connection to the VPN service (Hide IP VPN in this case) to keep all internet bound traffic secure and safe.

The VSDL2 connection to PN was set up easily but I've noticed something very odd and I'm almost certain it's down to config and human error.  

The router is used as a DHCP server and after 10 or so minutes with the VPN being connected as a LAN to LAN connection new devices started to appear in my DHCP table - devices that were not mine. An iPhone 7 and a couple of personally named iPads.  I'm at a loss as to where the issue is.

I've immediately turned off the VPN, as you could imagine, but the whole value of the router is the VPN.

Open to suggestions on where to look. The model is a Draytek 2860 if that helps.

5 REPLIES 5
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Draytek VPN setup - DHCP broadcasting outside my network using LAN 2 LAN VPN

@dg555

I don't have a Draytek but looking at https://support.hidemyass.com/hc/en-us/articles/202720996-Draytek-router-PPTP-setup , a key part  (to me anyway)  is the Call Direction. it looks like the current setup you have is allowing incoming connections hence the new devices. Could that be the issue?

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
dg555
Hooked

Re: Draytek VPN setup - DHCP broadcasting outside my network using LAN 2 LAN VPN

I saw that earlier and it's configured the same.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I'd be surprised if a LAN to LAN connection is what you want for connection to a VPN service. They're usually used to connect a single PC directly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dg555
Hooked

I'd agree with you but I'm at a loss as to how to establish the connection to the provider without it.  That certainly seems to be what's happened though as my DHCP server is clearly broadcasting down the wire rather than being isolated to the local traffic.  I'll post up on the Draytek forums specifically and see what config they suggest on there.

dg555
Hooked

Looks very much like the VPN provider was at fault here. Tried a couple of other well known ones and saw no further issues. The worst part of this is that the devices claiming to be iPhones are clearly not as their MAC addresses are not Apple registered ones.

Here's the last grab from the DHCP table from HideIPVPN with the risky rogue devices highlighted. It's worth noting that while they did appear to get an address they weren't present on my network. ARP table confirmed this as did some sniffing tools.

LAN1 : 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0, DHCP server: On
Index IP Address MAC Address Leased Time HOST ID
4 192.168.1.13 CA-F2-A5-05-AB-E5 23:04:35
6 192.168.1.15 CA-F2-A5-05-AB-E6 23:04:38
9 192.168.1.18 CA-8F-3D-8A-37-63 23:39:21 Michaels-iPhone

What are the chances of consecutive MAC addresses hitting my router? Slim and none. I can only think it was some script being ran and two came my way.

Anyway, issue over and VPN provider well and truly dumped.