cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download manager

Mav
Fixes: 515

Download manager

Have been using JDoawnloader for a few years but it's becoming more buggy and unweildy to use.
I'm looking at FlashGet (mentioned by sprite in another thread) and Orbit.
Does anyone have any further recommendations or comments on the two I've mentioned?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

5 REPLIES 5
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Download manager

I used to use flashget and it was good at the job, but stopped after its installer had Browser addon's added during its installation which you had no say on and were difficult to remove.  That was about 3 years ago, so might have changed since then.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Mav

I've just installed both Flashget and Orbit but couldn't, as yet, see any benefits from using either.
I'm going to have a look again at FDM which I used to use years ago.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

CX
Grafter

The "old" version of Flashget (1.9x) is still quite good, although it works best in conjunction with the FlashGot plugin for Firefox. It runs fine in WINE too, if you're using Linux.
I like JDownloader though, particularly for it's advanced scheduling functions. Flashget has start/stop once a day, but JDownloader allows starting, stopping, setting bandwidth caps as many times a day as needed.
Mav

I agree about JDownloader.
Having also now looked at FDM I think I will perceveer with JD and hope that many of the current issues get sorted soon. It certainly is the most flexible of the downloaders I've looked at over the years.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: CX23880
I like JDownloader though, particularly for it's advanced scheduling functions. Flashget has start/stop once a day, but JDownloader allows starting, stopping, setting bandwidth caps as many times a day as needed.

Flashget also allows you to manage your bandwdith and while I admit the scheduling is a bit out of date its other features have made be stand by it for years on end. It's a very convenient bit of software although I still use the older versions. I'm currently using v1.73 as the newer ones were released by a foreign company and the standards seemed to slip. Browser plugins etc got a bit screwed up.
Flashget is good in many ways because not only can you see the http headers, it will monitor the speeds in realtime, average time, calculate time remaining, search for mirrors of the file etc. The only downside to FG is that you can't run it as a portable app on a usb drive.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!