Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Free books to my phone.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Download Free books to my phone.

I`ve run out of the free books available from my library.... and the THREE network is down, (has been for some time, I think ) in my area... so I cannot access the normal free books site from my Microsoft Lumia 435 phone to download some more.

How do I search for, and download free books, on my laptop. to then transfer or download to my phone  ?

Googling the question, has only given me options to download READERS, or have to sign up to "read" the book  on the laptop...

Useful step by step instructions for a mobile phone newbie ! .. ( rarely use it for any phone calls or text )  still got £8 on it from two years ago, ( payg phone !) ..

12 REPLIES 12
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Download Free books to my phone.

Try e.g. http://www.gutenberg.org/ (out of copyright / free rights)

Try https://www.geckoandfly.com/11873/20-best-websites-to-download-free-e-books/

There are hundreds of places, including your local libraries digital library.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

I`ve run out of the free books available from my library.... and the THREE network is down, (has been for some time, I think ) in my area... so I cannot access the normal free books site from my Microsoft Lumia 435 phone to download some more.

@shutter 

Free books is not something I participate in so I don't know how it works, but can't you continue downloading from your normal source just by using WiFi on your phone instead of your data allowance (i.e. not via the Three network)?

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  Well, there seems to be a problem with that.... If I try to access ( say ) ebay   it says for me to check my connection... same with Google search... or even trying to find out my balance on the phone...

the WIFI signal bars are showing, and the settings say that it is "on"... so I am at a loss as to what is happening...

When I try to access "Feedboks"  to get new titles,... it shows the following message

Bookviser

An error has occurred while trying to get the folder contents.  

OK

and the same message appears on "Manybooks"...

Normally, it just "connects" and a "library" appears with book covers/titles and just tap the one you want and it downloads it.

Just checked again on the Three site....

three network outage notice.png

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

Probably a silly question, but are you connected to your own WiFi and not a neighbour?

Regarding getting your Three account balance, that should be possible if logging in to their website, but if you want to use the Three app ISTR you need to make sure WiFi is turned off (and the app needs a good reliable network signal).  If I want to know my Three balance I find it far more reliable just to dial '444' (obviously needs a phone signal).

Have you tried rebooting the phone - that sorted SWMBOs (Three SIM) phone a couple of days ago when texts/calls were not being received?

Edit:  typo

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@shutter wrote:

Just checked again on the Three site....

three network outage notice.png

@shutter 

I just checked the network status using my own postcode and got exactly the same as you've posted above, HOWEVER, the network is working just fine for me!  😕

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like it's an error with their utility rather than the network itself. Maybe a throw back to their outage last week.

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN I took the battery out, and the sim card, yesterday.... when I could not get connection whilst out and about...    tried again at home, but still no joy.!..need to reset the time although the date is correct......   weird or what ! ! ! ....

just been through some settings,... and connected to my home wifi, . and then dialled 444 got my balance ( thanks for the number ! )..

however, I have just tried to dial my other mobile phone... and it showed "dialling" for about 30 seconds, then showed  "ending"... my other mobile in my other hand, did not ring... strangely, if I ring in reverse,  my Microsoft phone rings ! ! .. so,... seems it works IN to the microsoft lumia 435... but it isn`t getting a connection OUT from the micosoft lumia 435. ( for some reason ) . ( dunno how I got my balance though ! ! !) ..

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@shutter wrote:

however, I have just tried to dial my other mobile phone... and it showed "dialling" for about 30 seconds, then showed  "ending"... my other mobile in my other hand, did not ring... strangely, if I ring in reverse,  my Microsoft phone rings ! ! .. so,... seems it works IN to the microsoft lumia 435... but it isn`t getting a connection OUT from the micosoft lumia 435. ( for some reason ) . ( dunno how I got my balance though ! ! !) ..

Or maybe the 'other' phone isn't receiving calls?  Is it also on Three?   

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I tend to read books on a KOBO ebook viewer which accepts all formats such as EPUB, PDF etc (but not the proprietary Kindle format). I download free books to my PC and transfer them over a USB charging cable.

I see no reason why you couldn't do the same with a mobile - provided you knew which directory to transfer the ebooks to.

You can read also read books on your PC - using an appropriate ebook viewer or if you wish to keep a collection of ebooks on your desktop the standard program to use is Calibre (Linux/Windows/Mac). https://calibre-ebook.com/about#features

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN wrote:

Or maybe the 'other' phone isn't receiving calls?  Is it also on Three?   

Nope... My "other phone"... the one I use for making the very very occasional call....but keep in readiness, in case someone finds my number and calls me, or the NHS want to send me text messages about my dentist appointment....  is on EE...

and it is receiving calls... !

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard  I use "Bookvisor" as the reader.... and it also has a "library" of free books.... however.. i have seen KOBO listed somewhere..

tried about an hour ago, in a local shopping car park.... and still get the connection error notice...

Even more weirdness..... I found out my balance on the call 444  was £3.03p... so I bought a £10 top up voucher... and managed to "install" that.... no problem..... until..... I rechecked my balance....  "your balance is £10.00 "   .. HUH  ? 

what happened to the other three quid ?

shutter
Community Veteran

Update ! !! .

got on line and on the chat to Three.... they are "looking into ...... " the missing three quid... and will let me know via email in the next 24 to 48 hours ! ..

Meanwhile... I think things must have "settled down" 3 network wise, as I have just managed to download a book direct on the phone....

Thanks for all the input to this thread guys..

😉