cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dont suppose anyone will know ?

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Re: Dont suppose anyone will know ?

Thanks for the reassurance i feel i should know these things but i dont. with regard to xp the advisor told me that my pc supports hardware assisted virtulisation technology but it must be enabled in the system BIOS before running XP mode. So i presume once i have installed win 7 i alter my Bios sounds as easy as performing brain surgery on myself........... :-[.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Fantasticfourum
. with regard to xp the advisor told me that my pc supports hardware assisted virtulisation technology but it must be enabled in the system BIOS before running XP mode. So i presume once i have installed win 7 i alter my Bios sounds as easy as performing brain surgery on myself....
I'm not sure how that works but someone here will be able to help you with that, We are all here to learn, I have learnt quite a bit with just this friendly forum alone.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Steve
No I can run programmes In xp mode and I use windows 7 premium.

No, you'll be using a "compatibility" mode. Not the same thing, though very effective in many cases.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Doh your right HPsauce I stand corrected Embarrassed
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

XP mode runs a full virtual (and licensed!) copy of XP within W7.
You do need the XP license as well though; 7 doesn't provide it.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Or you can use multi-booting.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

i have the xp license i just dont have any back up discs
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Give us a list of programmes that your concerned you wont be able to use going 64 bit and we will be able to help  you In that query further please.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

when i actually look at the programmes that arnt compatible they mostly look like they may have win 7 updates that may resolve the issue the one i was concerened about was the pre installed windows office xp pro that will need a paid update but i am now wondering if it was a legit copy installed on the computer and that is why they say a paid update as it seems unreasonable to expect to update office xp i may be wrong but everything about the shop i bought the computer from has not been great.............................. things like acronis true image is not compatible but as i have never used that programme it is not a great loss....