cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dont suppose anyone will know ?

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Dont suppose anyone will know ?

I have a 2.93 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core and i have had it about a year but my problem is when i power down and re start i lose the internet it keeps saying aquiring internet address but it never does i left it all night and still it didnt connect.However if i continually switch the machine on and off usually after about the twelfth power down it connects although it doesnt show the connect icon in my tray. As you can imagine this is very frustrating to make it worse ihave tried system restore about 8 different dates and each time it says your computer cannot restore  no changes made i have run out of highlighted dates so that is a waste of time. something else has now happened i re installed Firefox as it would not load it let me load one screen but if i click on the firefox icon nothing happens and if i close my existing firfox connection then i cannot get back on the net without re installing Firefox  I have re loaded my internet drivers (realtek ethernet driver) and firefox and to no avail but i am wondering if i should bite the bullet and do a complete re install but that is such a pain in the a***e. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.Many Thanks
38 REPLIES 38
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Dont suppose anyone will know ?

When you switch on but can't access the internet does your computer see the router
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

You may like to download (next time you are connected) a LIVE CD of a Linux distro.... (try MINT 9 Isabella) .  it is an ISO file... . burn it to CD.... then shut down the computer.... Insert the CD.... boot up. and see if it connects... (you will need to be connected by wire to your router for the first time in case you need to set up a wireless connection)... assuming it will connect  (either wire or wirelessly). then it could indicate a problem with windows...
Bonus point.... you should be able to access your windows files and folders through the Linux
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

It says connected but aquiring network address i can connect to the router from my laptop through wireless connection so the router is fine
The windows thing may be worth a try as a windows re install may solve my problems but i will try what you said and see if it connects that would identify the problem
Many Thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You could try allocating a fixed network address for your computer in the router
But I agree with Shutter - try using a Linux Live CD first
If you are on XP you could try this full repair option before a reinstall http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897
Anonymous
Not applicable

As Oldjim said - try setting the PC's network connection TCP/IP properties manually to a static IP address (choose an address outside the DHCP range of your router).
While you are at it you could also set manual DNS values, such as 208.67.220.220 and 8.8.4.4.
Doing both these things often reduces significantly the type of problems you are describing, if you happen to have a setup that gets it's DHCP in a muddle.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Ok you have both given me something to work on tonight
Many thanks for both your help
Regards  Mike
shutter
Community Veteran

Update?
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Hi
Tried Linux and that connected to the net without any problem so it must be XP so i am now going to try and repair before complete install
problem is i have to buy XP as the computer shop i bought the PC did not supply any back up disks and now they have closed down so i am
re ordering windows Xp. before i do this is this a wise move or should i go to Windows 7 i dont like vista at all but XP seemed reliable till now.
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

With Linux found it very difficult to get anything up on screen did loads of updates etc but had trouble using it maybe it is just me.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hi Mike,
              Personally I would not waste any more of your hard earned for XP, Windows 7 Is better, Up to date and more secure.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You didn't need to do any updates with Linux.
If you don't have the latest and greatest security patch, it's unlikely to make any crucial difference.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

When you download an ISO for a linux distro,..... it gives you a message that "updates are available".... It does not say you don`t need them....(to use in the O.P`s situation.... nor to try out the ISO) so automatically, the user will download the updates.....
the OP probably had trouble finding his windows files and folders, as the start page does not give any indication as to where they may be found.....
(not a linux fault, just something that "flumoxed" me, the first couple of times I used Linux mint)....
gadfly
Grafter

I would upgrade to Windows 7 instead of buying XP.
This webpage provides useful info on Windows 7 -
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Use-Restore-Recover-Repair-Windows-7-Win7.htm
The first page on Microsoft's website that you should visit if you intend to upgrade to a version of Windows 7 is the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. -
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx
I upgraded and old Dell Dimension 3000 desktop PC to Windows 7, but the upgrade advisor failed to detect that it was running a video card that could only support DirectX 8.0.
Windows requires a video card that supports a minimum of DirectX 9.0, which is now up to version 11.
You can check which version is installed by entering dxdiag in the Start -> Run box.
If you have DirectX 8.0 installed you can try upgrading to DirectX 9.0. If it won't upgrade then the video card doesn't support it and you'll have to upgrade the video card to one that supports DirectX 9.0.
If your computer only has PCI adapter slots free (instead of an AGP or PCI Express x16 slot), PCI video cards that support DirectX 9.0 are still available.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I would not recommend an upgrade via online to windows 7, Best with a clean fresh Install Of windows 7 (IE A disk), Upgrading has caused a lot of people a lot of problems, Just my opinion though.
Give me a PM If you want, I've a copy of windows 7 32 bit you can have If you want to test It out. You cant activate It but you can test It for 120 days. Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules? Sorry If I have.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.