Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't buy a TPlink TD-9980 if you use Linux and

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Don't buy a TPlink TD-9980 if you use Linux and

Want to connect a printer to it.
The usb ports need a driver only M$ & Mac driver are available.
Tech help have been no help so far.  Lips_are_sealed
11 REPLIES 11
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Don't buy a TPlink TD-9980 if you use Linux and

Surely you would connect a printer to a PC or a server?
A router isn't meant to be a print server as well.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Have you tried connecting the printer direct to your linux pc ? That way you can make sure you have the correct linux drivers.
It has been a while since I've connected a printer to the router, but I'm sure the router is just a thru device. The printer drivers need to be installed on the pc and then configure to use a network port.
This google search gives lots of hits, maybe one can help you Smiley
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&client=ubuntu#safe=off&...
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I think that TP-Link use (or at least used) USB over IP for their printer sharing rather than lpr etc. I suggest you badger TP-Link for a suitable driver to access the port on the router Sad
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I HAVE been connecting directly, it has a driver that is no the issue. I did complain to TP-link and there response is lacking to say the least.
And yes it appears as a usb port on the pc rather than an lpr queue like most routers.
Why do I want to do it, to be able to print from anything without the pc being on. That and the fact it is SOLD as having 2 usb ports for file/printer sharing. I don't use the file sharing I have a laptop doing that, but no spare usb ports on it.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

The last time I "upgraded" my printer, I decided to pay a bit extra for network capability. Not perfect (it appears it is built for the US market - no wifi channels 12/13 and I use 13), but it is (almost) switch on and use and it disables other I/Fs when ethernet connected!
I have a badge engineered model (without Linux drivers) but just use the actual manufacturer's.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

This printer was from freecycle, an nice little brother laser. USB only no network. I do have a usb-network adaptor that I could use but the fact the router was advertised as having printer sharing and as Linux compatible to me is just taking the mick.
SuperZoom
Grafter

TP Link use the same USB-over-IP printer sharing system on various routers.
It's very flexible and can work well on a small home network where a client taking exclusive control of the attached device isn't a problem.
It's an implementation of the KCodes system, so the issue is actually that KCodes don't offer a client for Linux...
That's why TP Link appear to be unhelpful: they can't directly help!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

There seems to be a GPL implementation of USB over IP for Linux here http://usbip.sourceforge.net/ , maybe worth looking at.
edit: looking in a bit more detail, it claims that the drivers are already in the Linux kernel.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: SuperZoom
KCodes don't offer a client for Linux...

The Kcodes’ kernel module utilizes 150KB Flash and 1MB RAM and it can be implemented on Linux platform in 2 weeks to meet today’s fast changing marketing demand.

According to that no real reason for them not to.
SuperZoom
Grafter

That's the server end of it. But give them a call and chivvy them along    Wink
Might be economics; might be technical...
HairyMcbiker
All Star

If the server end supports Linux, the kernel has had usb-ip support for past 4 years, so just them dragging the development.
I have already complained about it, nowt else I can do until they get the finger out.