Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Reg

Robtheplod
Grafter

Domain Reg

Hi All
As plusnet charge rather a lot to register a domain, is there any problems with me registering with someone like 123reg etc for a fiver, then transferring into my plusnet account for free web hosting etc ?Huh
cheers
rob
13 REPLIES 13
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Domain Reg

My website domain name is registered with "another" company, but  PlusNet host it for free !... I have had no problems for the past 2 years and just renewed at £16 for the next 2 years.
James
Grafter

Might also be worth taking a look at http://just-the-name.co.uk <= They're our dedicated domain registration company.
mentalist3d
Grafter

There shouldn't be a problem doing it that way, some will advise that its best keeping your domain reg and web hosting with different companies, if you get your domain name registered by your web host and then at a later date have issues with the web host, you may lose the hosting service and domain name, keeping it separate lets you keep the name and move the host
seanbranagh
Grafter

Eukhost are very good at £6/year for .com .net .co.uk etc and then you will have a nice control panel to do whatever you want including hosting with PN.
Can anyone offer an explaination as to why PN are so expensive for domain registrations? I have been a customer for over 5 years and I cannot understand it.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Might also be worth taking a look at http://just-the-name.co.uk <= They're our dedicated domain registration company.

£15.65/year for a .com! I could have a .com for almost 3 years for that price with Eukhost Grin
mentalist3d
Grafter

I just had a wee look, would anyone actually pay £58.72 for uk.com?
seanbranagh
Grafter

£39 with Eukhost but you have to register for a minimum of 2 years with .uk.com for some reason at £78. Still way cheaper.
And still cheaper than a .ie which I pay 80 euro a year for! (Obviously this is not and cannot be registered by Eukhost)
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hmm - can't remember the URL of the one I use, but I pay about $10 (US) per year for a .com.
When you have as many domains as I (some are ex-Warcraft guild names, I could get rid of them but for some reason I like to keep them) a few quid per domain makes all the difference Smiley
seanbranagh
Grafter

Yeah, I have built up quite a collection over the years, most of them for websites I have built and alias.
mentalist3d
Grafter

I collect a bit as well, usually register them, because I've got an idea or a project for them, but usually get too busy with work, so the project, just gets shelved. Every so often I do give up some names, but others I do cherish, because one day, I just might finish one of the projects, or not Smiley
James
Grafter

That sounds familiar!
seanbranagh
Grafter

If it is in any way releated to computers, I will hoard it. That includes domain names. I know I will probably never have any use for those Compaq Deskpro Pentium 2 machines in the attic, but I couldn't face binning them!
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Quote from: mentalist3d
I just had a wee look, would anyone actually pay £58.72 for uk.com?

Hi
Thats for a 2 year registration