Did you mean: 

Domain Name Server

FIXED
mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Domain Name Server

Hi

I have a domain hosted by PN and now need to develop the web site, to allow me to do this I need to transfer the web side of the domain only away from PN but leave the e-mail with PN. As I am fully unsure of the operation I have raised a ticket but only to be informed that it will take around 24-48hrs to respond. Is it possible for someone to give me exact details on the change please as I do not want to create future problems.

Many thanks in anticipation.

35 REPLIES 35
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Domain Name Server

Hi @mort7890 

It sounds to me you need to change the A records of:

yourdomain.[whatever]
www.yourdomain.[whatever]

To whoever is hosting your web space.

As you want the e-mail to stay where it is then do not touch the MX record(s).

I have domains I manage myself but don't use PlusNet. So I don't know if it is possible to use their control panel to do it or have you asked them to do it?

The 24-48 hour thing sounds like they're refering to how long DNS changes take to propegate around the internet, which is a pain but true I'm afraid. I am not sure they mean it'll take them 24-48 to make the change themselves, but still you've got 24-48 for it to come into effect once they do.

mort7890
Pro

Hi @Alex 

Many thanks for the speedy response, yes the person who answered did say 24-48hrs before the support team could respond. I did try to push this through knowing that it would take another 24-48hrs to propogate through the web.

Now if I am reading the instructions on the site and being assured by your reply what I have done is amend the A record to point to the IP address and did the same on both sdes then hit the add button.

The changed the A to CNAME added the required name again to both sides and put a dot on the end of both.

Not sure what Pri means.

Not touched MX records.

Hopefully all will work

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@Alex wrote:

Hi @mort7890 

It sounds to me you need to change the A records of:

yourdomain.[whatever]
www.yourdomain.[whatever]

To whoever is hosting your web space.

As you want the e-mail to stay where it is then do not touch the MX record(s)..

Might be worth pointing out that sometimes MX records do not even exist. If they don't then the sending SMTP client will instead use the A record and attempt to connect and deliver email to that server.

If you do not have MX records setup then now is a good time to ensure that you get them setup otherwise incoming emails will be targetted at the websites IP address instead - which will reject them.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
mort7890
Pro

Hi @7up 

So please how do I check that

7up
Community Veteran

With a domain hosted by plusnet I've no idea - I would assume that it is in their control panel somewhere but as I don't host any domains with them I've no idea if it is there or not (last i heard it was somewhat limited).

I've told you what you need to do, I can't really tell you how to go about doing it unfortunately but you MUST make sure that you have an MX (Mail eXchanger) record setup to continue having mail delivered to your plusnet account.

Ultimately plusnet will be able to help you out with this - maybe @Darkfire or @bobpullen 

mort7890
Pro

Hi @7up 

Just reverted everything back to previous and seems will have to await support team, thanks anyway.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@mort7890  you can check what mx records exist by looking up your domain at https://mxtoolbox.com/

If your mail is handled by plusnet then the recrdo should point to mx.avasin.plus.net

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mort7890
Pro

Hi @MisterW 

It certainly does but I am still unsure of the next stage.

mort7890
Pro

Hi @Alex & @7up 

Q1 Do I tick this I wish to specify DNS records for hosts under this domain 

Q2 Do I input the point to this IP address in both the Left & Right Fields leaving it as type A and what goes in the Pri box

Q3 Do I input the point to this address in both left & Right Fields changeing it to CNAME and again what goes in the Pri box

Sorry for lots of questions but very unsure and do not wish to make a mistake. Many thanks

Current DNS records for xxxxxxxx.co.uk

There are no additional DNS records for this domain
Left field Type Pri Right field  

Create a new DNS record for xxxxxxxx.co.uk

Left field Type Pri Right field

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well I didn't know you could have e-mail without MX. Mine always has, and all take what I say with a massive pinch of salt, but I thought Pri (Priority) was only applicable to MX but the idea being the with one with the lowest value gets tried first and in the event it doesn't work the next one is tried.

I used to have a 10 and 20, (10 = where I want it to go, 20 = if that doesn't work put it to the other location so my e-mails don't get lost).

If after the 24-48 some of your e-mails will start going through into the new server, then yes you have done it right.

I must admit DNS changes are nerve racking, and when I first did them for a company, I didn't have a clue what I what doing, I made some mistakes (luckily for me they didn't realise).

It is how you learn in life to be thrown into the deep end. Good luck and we're here to help if you need us.
7up
Community Veteran

@Alex wrote:
Well I didn't know you could have e-mail without MX. Mine always has, and all take what I say with a massive pinch of salt, but I thought Pri (Priority) was only applicable to MX but the idea being the with one with the lowest value gets tried first and in the event it doesn't work the next one is tried.

I used to have a 10 and 20, (10 = where I want it to go, 20 = if that doesn't work put it to the other location so my e-mails don't get lost).

If after the 24-48 some of your e-mails will start going through into the new server, then yes you have done it right.

Yes you can have email without MX - if there is no MX records then the A record gets used instead (I found this out through a lot of trial and error with my own dns server and mail server testing).

I think the Pri field is the actual target, eg:

Left===========Type============Pri

www==========A===============xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    <=ip address

mail==========mx==============10:mydomain.com   <=target domain / server (which can also be checked by the A record)

DNS changes shouldn't take 24 hours these days. They should be pretty instant as long as the ISPs server hasn't already got a cached result (and wipes them frequently). It's nameserver changes that used to take hours / days but the last i heard that process had been sped up among many dns services too. The last domain i registered the nameserver change took less than an hour. Shouldn't take that long either in reality as it's only a DNS record itself - the NS type.

I use afraid.org for my dns and to be fair they're excellent and far more flexible / configurable than many other dns services.

mort7890
Pro

Hi @7up @Alex @MisterW 

Sorry but the responses have now really confused me or maybe I am loosing it as part of a senior moment. Think I will await support for the Technical Help so thanks anyway.

Would really appreciate it if@bobpullen would kindly step in.

mort7890
Pro

Hi @7up @Alex @MisterW 

Received the following from CSC Analyst

Unfortunately we don't have the ability to change the DNS servers with our system. If this is something you require, then you'll need to transfer the domain to a new registrar and host provider.

Now I am completely baffled.

@bobpullen 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@mort7890  tbh that response from the CSC doesnt surprise me, the domain DNS system is a legacy system and most front line support agents will know little or nothing about it. Having said that, their response that it's not possible to change the DNS servers is correct, but that's not what you want to do anyway.

I've found the legacy help and support articles on the dns system here https://www.plus.net/help/archive/broadband/domain-management/ and the link to managing dns records here https://www.plus.net/help/archive/broadband/managing-dns-records/

Does that help?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.