cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does using hibernate reduce the life of SSD?

corystes

Does using hibernate reduce the life of SSD?

I recently got a new pc with a 120Gb SSD for the OS and the original HDD for little used programs and personal files.  If I put the PC into hibernate or sleep I assume that active snapshot is saved  to the SSD.  With about 67 Gb free is this likely to have much impact on the life of the SSD given that repeated write cycles degrade the storage?
6 REPLIES 6
WTF
Grafter

Re: Does using hibernate reduce the life of SSD?

I assume you're using Windows ..
Sleep shouldn't make any difference as the computer is effectively still running while it's asleep however, hibernate writes an image of the contents of memory to disk.  In the case of SSD, that would count against the number of writes the SSD will support.
Of course, it's not much activity in the grand scheme of things.  For instance, if Windows is using the SSD for paging that's likely to be doing 1000s more writes in a memory-intensive session.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: WTF
Sleep shouldn't make any difference as the computer

Quote from: WTF
In the case of SSD, that would count against the number of writes the SSD will support.

So it won't make much difference... but it will shorten the life of the SSD writes.... You do realise that your answer so some people could be as clear as mud don't you?
Ok sure it won't make much difference to the computer itself - but the op was asking about the SSD not the computer and many folks would not realise the difference and get easily confused by what you have said.
From my POV the simple answer is YES, your SSD will have quite a large amount of data written to it all at once and this will affect the life span of the SSD especially if you sleep the computer frequently.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
CX
Grafter

It doesn't make enough of a difference to the lifespan of the SSD to live with the inconvenience of turning hibernate off.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

7up - ????
The answer WTF gave was perfectly clear and accurate.  It explains the difference between the behaviour of  'sleep' and 'hibernate' and that sleep has no effect whereas hibernate has some but negligible in the context of normal operation.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: 7up
You do realise that your answer so some people could be as clear as mud don't you?

To be honest, I thought it did make sense - it was your selective misquoting that broke things!  Smiley
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: pwatson
7up - ????
The answer WTF gave was perfectly clear and accurate.  It explains the difference between the behaviour of  'sleep' and 'hibernate' and that sleep has no effect whereas hibernate has some but negligible in the context of normal operation.

That depends on which version of sleep you refer to.
If you mean stand by then yeah.. it keeps the system in the ram and doesn't do much else until you wake it.
From Vista onwards, sleep also writes a memory dump to the HDD just in case the power to the system is lost - hence you can unplug the machine, plug it back in and still resume from a sleep. Hence my comments.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!