cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Thomson Gateway TG585 v7 support 10/100M LAN by Realtek RTL8100C?

Bluesplayer
Grafter

Re: Does the Thomson Gateway TG585 v7 support 10/100M LAN by Realtek RTL8100C?

I think you will have to explain the above a little more as I don't really know where to start with it!
On a side not - and a bit worrying too - my site page loads are getting a bit out of hand.  Last month my page loads for the whole of Dec were 421.7k.  For this month alone there has already been 442.4k.  Page loads are now averaging between 25-40k a day!  That means page loads will probably go past the million for January.  Can't see the site slowing down either but getting more popular as I keep adding to it.  Beginning to wonder if my website provider might kick up a fuss at this rate.
I should really be able to make money from this type of traffic and probably will soon but just peanuts at the moment from google adverts.  This site in the hands of someone who knows how to exploit traffic could make a fortune more than likely.
Does such a site cause server problems with loads?  Or are server owners more concerned with used bandwidth?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Are you proxying all the traffic for places like Amazon and all the other shops?
If so, you will need some big servers (eventually). Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Bluesplayer
Grafter

Are you proxying all the traffic for places like Amazon and all the other shops?

Although I know a fair bit about webdesigning I am not that zavvy with regard to terms such as 'proxying'.  I will tell you though the Software Store and the UK Electric Product store are working off my home server (so I could alter the database for 2 letter searches and so on).  There is also a working copy of the Amazon store on my home server too, though there is an identical Amazon store on my website provider webspace.  These shops are getting hardly any traffic yet but google, yahoo and another crawler are now spending time on both the Electric, and Software stores.  Traffic is beginning to filter through quietly.  I do notice that both Google and Yahoo are placing the shop products quite high up on people's searches - even though the domain is relatively new and a free one off no-ip.  I think the fact that it is linked to my main site is boosting it's ratings. 
So to sum up the shops are on my home server and the rest of the site is on my website provider's server.  Why would I be needing more powerful servers?  For the shops?
VileReynard
Hero

If I understand you correctly, when people think they go to Amazon via your site, you are intercepting their requests, accessing the real Amazon site and supplying the appropriate traffic to the user, and similarly for other shops.
Essentially, you are acting as a man-in-the-middle and your customer never sees the "real" shop????Huh
Or have I totally misunderstood your operation? - my apologies in advance.
Because Amazon have a strong brand name, most people will go straight there - sadly bypassing your site?

Bluesplayer
Grafter

Yes - man in the middle!  The shops are there so users can shop for products without leaving my site until they want to purchase something.  When they eventually see a product they want a new window opens and they get sent to that product on some other site - be it Amazon or not.  Perfect really as all security and money transactions are carried out by the relevant company.  I just get my cut for sending them there in the first place.  The Software store is different as in a lot of cases they can download the trial off my site - or off my software suppliers site infact - or purchase it directly off links.  The Amazon store is a free version and I think the full version allows some sort of purchasing to be carried out but I don't want to get involved in that.  It all works off a commission basis.  It does work quite well as I can link to various parts or pages of the shops and add them to wherever I think is suitable.  Not sure if the Amazon store gets crawled or not - will have to check on that.  I don't store the database for that store, Mobile Phone Store or Ringtones but I do for the 2 others.
Bluesplayer
Grafter

Bloody hell!  Not sure what I have created here but the stats are just going through the roof!  I thought page loads would kind of ease up after xmas but that hasn't happened - the opposite has!  Hitting 40,000 a day now.  Just checked my bandwidth for this month and it has gone up from 43964MB for last month to 130987MB so far this month!  Not sure I should be happy or worried?  Just sent an email to my hosting company now asking them whether or not they gonna get p******* if this rise continues.
VileReynard
Hero

If I understand (probably not)...
But say they are searching for products - Amazon say - you access Amazon in response to a query and then send that page to them.
That's got to hurt!

Bluesplayer
Grafter

Had a think about bandwidth.  Can't be amazon store as that is getting very few hits.  It all works off xml which is hosted by the amazon store script makers - I think.  I think the problem must lie - or isn't helped - by the arcades I have on my site, especially the new one.  The new one is getting to be quite popular now and some of the games on there are over 10MB in size.  One of which has been played now for close to 100x in the last month alone.  I GB of bandwidth usage which is a lot.  I had the option of hosting these arcade games - which I did - or downloading them off the games supplier site when  a user clicks to play on the game.  I am now altering all the settings to allow the latter to happen.  Will take me a while but there are only 160 games to adjust whereas a arcade site I had previous to this had a few thousand.  There is one arcade still on my site that has over 1600 titles which are all hosted by my website provider.  This arcade isn't being used much now though, not since the new one has been put on.  The new one allows players to compete against other arcade users on other sites which is quite appealing.  Check it out here: http://bluesplayer.co.uk/arcades/arcade/
The arcades are throwbacks to a previous design of site I had.  Thought to ditch them ages ago but haven't.  Not going to now either so I better get back to altering all the game settings...
VileReynard
Hero

Don't forget the You Tube videos... Cheesy

Bluesplayer
Grafter

The YouTube videos are sourced from eh - YouTube - their bandwidth  :).
Bluesplayer
Grafter

Oh well it had to happen!  They gonna switch my site off as the bandwidth usage is far too high.  I have carried out loads of alterations in the last few days but I can't see it making my webhost happy.  The visitor number are rising all the time.  I always wanted a popular site but this is just daft.  Pity I couldn't sell it to someone?  Any ideas?  The site will be switched off in the next few days I think or I find a dedicated server somewhere that I can afford - which is a bit doubtful.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Bluesplayer
Grafter

They got some good options for me there - 1and1.
Apparently it isn't bandwidth so much as sheer webspace that is my host's concern.  I stupidly activated all the video script caches a few days ago to see how performance was affected.  The cache folders have become enormous.  The blues video section, which gets nearly all the hits and traffic, had a cache folder of god knows how many GB!  I am emptying it now as I write this.  There are nearly 100,000 text files init and a lot are over 70kbs in size.  I pay for 1.5GB of webspace and I am currently using 30GB and it was growing at the rate of 5GB a day!  You can see how many visitors this site is getting.  Bit of luck I can get everything back under control in the next few hours - or day - and I can keep the site live.  By the looks of it a dedicated server is needed next.  I should be able to find a good one for not too much money looking at 1and1's server options.  I like to read up about providers first though to see how if other users have been happy or not with certain providers.  Reliability is paramount.
Bluesplayer
Grafter

I seem to have landed on my feet - at a cost that is!  Moved my site first to a dedicated server which frightened the life out of me as it was unmanaged.  Too afraid to alter anything on it and to request any work to be carried out by the techs cost a lot of money.  Eventually came across a post about MDDHosting  - http://www.mddhosting.com/ - and spoke to the guy that runs it - Michael Denney - and everything has been fine since.  Moved the site over to a managed vps that was recommended by Michael after he took a look at my traffic details and the site has been great since, without the worries I had previously.  On top of that my site is just getting busier and busier - over 100,000 page loads today.  Michael is keeping an eye on the site and will give me ample warning should I require any upgrade.  As you can imagine along with all them page loads comes a fair bit of bandwidth consumption too, though not as much as I thought there would be.  The good thing is the site is generating more and more money from google which is covering the cost of the server and more besides.  Hell of a lot of work but the site is improving I think all the time.  So if you are looking for reliable webhosting give mddhosting a try.