cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Iphone browser have flash player?

seanbranagh
Grafter

Does the Iphone browser have flash player?

I have recently started playing in a new band. We are starting to line up a set and organise gigs. I am also working on a website.
One this that I became interested in was the ability to stream audio from gigs live on the website. Using simplecast on my laptop and icecast on my vps I have successfully being able to stream good quality sound (currently using 64Kbps stereo mp3) to a player I built for the website using a mobile broadband connection on the laptop.
I have also being able to listen to the test stream on my Nokia 5800 by embedding flash player into a webpage. Will this work on the Iphone?
From what I can see this could help with audience numbers and I am completely facinated with the thought that we could be playing live in a pub somewhere and someone could be listening to the gig live on the bus etc.
I definitely do now know of any other small local bands who can do this!
6 REPLIES 6
Be3G
Grafter

Re: Does the Iphone browser have flash player?

I'm afraid not: no Apple iDevices support Adobe Flash. They do, however, support HTTP live streaming if that's of any use.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Honestly that is rubbish. So glad I have a Nokia.
Thanks for the info. I will have to use a different method. An Iphone app would be ideal only I wouldn't even know how to start building one. Grin
Possibly embed Quicktime in a page?
Be3G
Grafter

Yep, that should work fine.
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: Sean
Honestly that is rubbish. So glad I have a Nokia.

I can see Apples point - Flash tends to be pretty rubbish.
However, since it is in use just about everywhere, you'd think that there would be an *option* to use it if you choose, so long as you are prepared to accept the performance issues.
Be3G
Grafter

I'm actually quite pleased that Apple are staunchly refusing to use Flash in their mobile products, because it's encouraging the proliferation of HTML5 video solutions and so forth. I really can't stand Flash or AIR or any of those proprietary and CPU-hogging runtimes, so I reckon the sooner something tries to challenge their authority, the better.
mooblie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The iPhone/iPod touch/iPad will happily play any audio/video clips you upload to YouTube.  That might be a way of getting your stuff online, and playable in an Apple device.  Not live streaming, though. Sad