Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have a Skybox?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Does anyone have a Skybox?

And have/had a subscription with Sky recently?
I don't, hence the reason for the question.
In the past, when I've either read about or spoken to anyone about the T's & C's requirement for the box to be plugged into the phone line, virtually everyone has said that unless you are using the box interactively (to get additional payg services or red button voting etc) after the first 6/12 or whatever months, sky don't seem to bother you if it's not phoning home periodically, but they do get stroppy in the initial period as they want to snoop get feedback on your usage?
Can you confirm from experience if this is still / was true (the not getting stroppy after whatever time)?
(ie.can it be left unplugged?).
2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Does anyone have a Skybox?

Mine hasn't been plugged into the phone line for about 10 years at least. IIRC it was only connected to the phone for the first 12 months.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Does anyone have a Skybox?

Yes, they like you to have the box plugged in the phone for the first year so they can get free viewing stats from customers. After all it is much cheaper than actually doing any market research Roll_eyes
Of course if you use the other stuff like paying for films then you'll need it for that as well. I've heard (but don't know if it is true) that it is possible to opt out of having the box plugged into the line for the first year.
The situation is slightly different if you have additional boxes (multiroom?) since the box can only receive from the satellite, not send. In this case Sky insist all boxes are plugged into the phone line regardless of contract age, all the time. The reasoning for this is apart from the free viewing stats (as above) it is impossible for them to tell where you are actually located, and whether the additional box is in the same household, country, or elsewhere in Europe.
My parents, having multiroom have had 'pleasant letters' from Sky when decorating a room and having one of the additional boxes disconnected for a month or so.