cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does abuse department operate at weekend/over Christmas?

qbatqbat
Dabbler

Does abuse department operate at weekend/over Christmas?

I've had a bizarre accusation of SPAM coming from "my account" although there is no SMTP traffic passing through my firewall that is not my own emails, I've responded to the support question and emailed abuse and postmaster asking to be forwarded the email(s) in question with full headers, am I likely to get this before the Christmas break? I'm going to be so cheesed off if I have to shut everything down and then I find out the accusation is based on a "From" address rather than an IP address (which is exactly what happened with a colo datacentre I used to use).
3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Does abuse department operate at weekend/over Christmas?

Hi, I'm afraid they're not in over the weekend but we should be able to get them for you on Monday? Really sorry for the delay.
qbatqbat
Dabbler

Hi Matt,
Thank you for replying. I owe you guys at PlusNet an apology for implying that may not have identified the source correctly. It was coming from a PC of mine. After turning on the firewall logging and saying that nothing was going through it, there was quite a few bursts of SMTP traffic. I'm now blocking all outgoing traffic to ports 25 and 587 except to the server I use. I think it was a fake browser pluggin posing as a flash update as I had a popup not long after running the updater for all my adobe apps and thought it was a bit odd at the time that it came up quite a while after so now I feel pretty stupid!
Anyhow after trashing all the plugins all seems fine and even if it turns out to be something else the traffic will still get blocked.
The annoying thing is that I only made the move from Linux to Windows so I could run the Adobe suite with less grief! Would have been much easier to trace the problem with Linux (in the unlikely even it would have had the problem) 🙂
Sorry for any reports your abuse team got as a result of it.
Thanks,
Nick.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It's likely to be Monday before Plusnet staff are here again but I'm sure they'll be glad to hear you've identified the source and have dealt with it. Despite our best efforts these sorts of things unfortunately do occur from time to time. Sad
David