Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a Samsung Tablet need an anti virus

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Does a Samsung Tablet need an anti virus

I only ask because swmbo has bought one and she connects to various free wifi points and sends/receives email as well a browsing the web
if so is it worth buying one or are the free ones adequate
9 REPLIES 9
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Does a Samsung Tablet need an anti virus

Broadly speaking, I don't think but this is worth a read
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

No.
But if she's going to be connecting to WiFi hotspots i'd consider using a VPN.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Now that will need explaining as I don't understand the relevance
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I'm guessing but I think if you're browsing on a public wifi you are in effect networked to everybody else doing the same thing. This may give other users access to files on the tablet if your OH has set up file sharing in some app. Using a VPN would make the public connection she is using more secure creating a Virtual Private Network between her and the connection.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Oldjim - for example if she is using Plusnet email, then her mailbox username AND password are transmitted as plain text - so theoretically could be captured and therefore hijacked. 
By using a VPN the entire connection is encrypted and therefore immune to snoopers on public networks.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

With you - now to look for a free VPN app - does anybody use Hotspot Shield http://www.hotspotshield.com/vpn-for-android or are there better ones
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Android has got a VPN(PPTP) client built-in

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Might be worth looking at Avast free mobile security: http://www.avast.com/free-mobile-security ; Antivirus and more (some features not really relevant to a 3G only tablet but still probably of some use).
I have this on all my Android devices, no problems to report, would recommend you try it at least.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Yes, I run that on my Nexus 7.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.