cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Thomson TG585 v7 support No-Nat and Static IPs?

YuJay
Dabbler

Does Thomson TG585 v7 support No-Nat and Static IPs?

I was told on the phone when i made the order and extended my contract for 12 months, that it does support these two features..
My D-link router died so for an easy solution i voted for the ISP's router, but i am yet to work out how to setup static IPs. (so that my IP Block from plusnet will be my PC's direct IP)
12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Does Thomson TG585 v7 support No-Nat and Static IPs?

You might need to use the CLI via Telnet.
Try this link http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-gateways/products/product-detail.php?id=161 for starters, its got download links for all the documentation ( including the CLI guide ) for the TG585v7.
Actually, reading that link a little more , this (http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php?id=5882 ) entitled 'Thomson Gateways and Multiple IP addresses' looks like it might be what you need.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Plus Net dont have 12 month contracts anymore, they are only one month and you only have to give 10 days notice.  But things like routers are free if you stay for more than 12 month, if you leave before you have to pay for it
YuJay
Dabbler

If you want the router for free you have to be contracted for 12 months. You only pay for delivery costs.
on another note, i think i know what i need to get my Static IPs going but the multiple gateway thing from that guide is abit over my head atm..
I'll ring support later and see what they can do, since i was told over the phone i could use my IP block with this router. im sure they know what they are doing.
unless some one on here has already config they router for Static IPs (not static Lan IPs) for they router, that would be great. Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no you dont have to contract, just stay here.  PN DONT HAVE more than 1 month contract now
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Just to be clear... PN now only require 10 days notice to leave.
The 12 month 'contract' refers to the time you need to remain with PN before the cost of the router is written off. If you leave within 12 months (which you can still do) you would have to pay for the router.
YuJay
Dabbler

Ohh my Gosh!
Topic at hand poeple.. please and seriously?
My home network fails with out my Static IPs please help me  Embarrassed
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Can we just get clear what you are trying to do here...
You have a block of 8 ? Public IP's allocated by PlusNet ?
You have allocated these IP's to your PC's as static IP's and need to configure the TG585 to handle this .
Is that correct so far ?
If that is the situation then I would suggest you need to confiure the router as Section 2 of the guide I linked to above, 'Static Subnet with Numbered WAN link'. This allocates 1 of your IP's to the router and the rest can be used by PC's on your network. You're going to have to use the CLI interface to the router to set it up for this configuration. I'd be doubtful that the normal CSC people are familiar with setting up the router in this way. There may be someone, either in Plusnet or on this forum, who has setup the router this way but TBH I doubt it. Most people who have a block of static IP's would, I suspect, have their own preferred router, as I do.  Embarrassed
I suspect you need to get familiar with the TG585 CLI manual if you're going to persevere with setting it up this way but please feel free to post back and I'll try and help where possible.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bighippo999
Grafter

Just wondering if anyone managed to get this working?
I've spent the last 12 hours trying to convince the TG585 to handle this, The links do give a good idea of how to go but unfortunately not one of the scenarios works for me.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Why would anybody want to have each PC on a "home network" assigned to a static, public IP address?
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: bighippo999
Just wondering if anyone managed to get this working?
I've an ST780 running static addressing and I've had a TG585v7 doing the same. It's a lot easier if you can find a standard Thomson firmware, rather than the PN supplied one, as default firmwares have a static IP address (aka routed IP) profile built in and selectable in the config wizard. Other ISPs have instructions on how to use this, eg http://www.zensupport.co.uk/knowledgebase/article.aspx?id=10880. Other than that it's roll up your sleeves and dive into the CLI. Standard firmwares can be found at http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfcs-A/Alcatel/Modems/TG585/v7/Firmware/. Alternatively PM me and I'll see if I've got a user.ini from the TG585 backed up somewhere.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
Why would anybody want to have each PC on a "home network" assigned to a static, public IP address?
There's a few reasons, apart from "I want to play with it" which is still a valid reason in my book Smiley However NAT is a huge fudge implemented to reduce pressure on the IPv4 address space particularly in pre-CIDR (Classless Inter-Domain Routing) days. As such it doesn't play very well with more complex protocols such as used in VOIP, VPN and many games, which then have to have additional functionality added to work around NAT's restrictions. So it can be much easier if using such products to remove NAT from the equation altogether.
There's also the minor point that IPv6 doesn't currently support NAT at all as it doesn't have any limitations on IP addressing space, so as/if it starts getting into wider use we may need to start thinking about living without NAT (at least in it's current form).
bighippo999
Grafter

MrC thanks for the info, I'll take a look now. will probably PM you though I've been trying to get the user.ini right using parts of what I had setup years ago on a speedtouch 510 and going trough pdf's just couldn't seem to hit a config that would work.
Reed MrC hit the nail on the head, I need to have this configured for external to put my cisco firewall with an external address for VPN connections. My network will still be behind a firewall, but I know my server and VoIP work with the cisco firewall. Unfortunately my Voip is buggered since moving to this modem.
You may be asking why use it then, Well I'm on the FTTC trial and want to use the kit they want me using.