cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Free Zonealarm Still block home networks

amcclean
Rising Star

Does Free Zonealarm Still block home networks

I used to use the free Zonealarm programs but found that the firewall actually blocked the Windows networking feature in windows and Zonealarm tried to make you upgrade to the paid for version to unblock the windows standard feature.
Does Zonealarm Free still block windows home networking / dnla and print sharing my Norton is due up soon and I'm not going to pay the £54 to renew.
cheers,
podman
[modified wrong name]
6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Does Free Zonealarm Still block home networks

ZoneAlarm Free does not, and never has blocked home networking. I've used it for years and have shared printers and shared directories we map to drives.
You just need to add your LAN as a trusted zone.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

When I used ZoneAlarm free (prior to the release of Windows XP SP2) it certainly DID block home networks and did not seek to deny the fact [Edit:  See retraction below].  I don't use ZoneAlarm any longer because I find the built-in Windows firewall to be more then adequate to meet my needs.  
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I've never had any issues with using the Free ZA and it blocking home network access - shared drives, shared printers etc. I've been using it since it's very early releases.
What it did block (and may still do) was using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) where one PC had a USB ADSL modem and all the other PCs on the network went through that PC to get access to the Internet.
I'm using ZA Free now on many PCs and all can access each others drives and get access to either shared printers off the back of some PCs and networked printers.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I am currently sat at a PC running ZoneAlarm Free, with a shared drive mapped from another PC and also a shared printer from another PC (which is also running ZoneAlarm Free - it works (and always has).
I'm pretty sure that the problem the OP and ReedRichards had was because they didn't add the local LAN as a trusted zone.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

XP SP2 was released in August 2004 and I gave up using ZoneAlarm shortly afterwards.  At that time I did not own a router so Peter is correct and I am almost certainly thinking of Internet Connection Sharing.  Apologies, it was quite a long time ago.   
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I upgraded from HomeHighway (ISDN) in 2003 - what I was using then I honestly can't remember. In any case I rather suspect that at that time I only had a single PC.