Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodgy ethernet cable(?)

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Dodgy ethernet cable(?)

Has anyone ever come across a short ethernet cable that after 2+ years decides that the connection at the PC end is faulty?
Unplugging and replugging the cable usually gives a few minutes use, before it fails again.
Strangely, plugging it into my netbook didn't work at all.  Cry
Anyway, I've ordered some shielded etc Cat6 cable to replace it.
I've never had ethernet fail before (unless it's in the first 5 minutes!).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

2 REPLIES 2
Twills
Grafter

Re: Dodgy ethernet cable(?)

Working with cables a lot in my previous workplace, yes. An individual wire inside can often fail especially if there is tension, moved around a lot or too hot. Luckily they are cheap enough to replace Smiley
Twills.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Dodgy ethernet cable(?)

Yes I have a vague memory of binning one moons ago as the little cables had snapped inside the actual plug.
At the moment my netbook has a fubar LAN adapter too thanks to a nurse spilling a drip on it last year... luckily at the time it was turned off so the main system still works but it has since developed quirks such as the lan socket becoming intermittent along with the track pad.
Cables / wires are a funny old thing though. In our car there is a CD changer in the back and its never worked ever since we've had the car. I've had the dash apart, had wires out all over the place, stripped out the old phone system, removed a load of solder joints (even though they looked ok), resoldered them etc.. i still couldn't find why the head unit kept displaying error. Swapped stereo heads, swapped cd changers, and finally swapped cd changer cables. STILL not working with everything being swapped (and the spare head, changer and cable were known to be ok). Eventually someone suggested that the preamp could be faulty.. now the radio worked fine but interestingly if i removed the aerial from the head unit the cd changer would work. Upon close investigation of the preamp up in the roof, the positive supply wire had been trapped between the preamp and a sharp edge on the roof - vibration had caused the metal edge to slowly cut through the insulation and it had eventually grounded itself via a very small piece of copper behind the insulation  Crazy I wrapped some insulation tape around it and both the radio and cd changer now work without fault. I've been looking for that fault for somrthing like six years  Roll_eyes
So yes strange and mysterious things DO happen with cables and wires.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!