Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need 3rd party AV ?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Do you need 3rd party AV ?

well windows defender , built into win 8 & win10  maybe its all you need Thumbs_Up

some 3rd party AV may be causing you problems http://www.techradar.com/news/could-windows-defender-be-the-last-antivirus-you-will-ever-need

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
53 REPLIES 53
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Do you need 3rd party AV ?

Personally Defender is all I use on my windows machines and then run periodic scans against my filestores and servers, as long as you are smart about how you use the internet you are generally quite safe Smiley 

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I don't know about earlier versions of Windows but for Win10 it has certainly made big improvements and the latest test for Win 7 here is good  http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart2&year=2017&month=6&sort=1&zoom=2

as compared to a year ago

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart2&year=2016&month=Feb_Jun&sort=1&zoom=2

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think Defender (MSE) is the best of the free AV software; not least because it does not bug you to buy the 'pro' version or buy various 'add-ons'.  Of the AV software you have to pay for, some is good and some is very poor.  

Mav
Fixes: 515

I wonder if there is an element of perceived on-line safety when paying for an AV against something that is free.

I use MSE with the addition of the free versions of Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D and Ccleaner.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MartyPop
Rising Star

@ReedRichards wrote:

I think Defender (MSE) is the best of the free AV software; not least because it does not bug you to buy the 'pro' version or buy various 'add-ons'.  Of the AV software you have to pay for, some is good and some is very poor.  

In addition, Windows Defender doesn't slow down your PC.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tend to agree with you there @Mav, its a bit like buying Tesco’s Finest -v- Lidl, where there is a perceived presumption that the more expensive product will always be better, but we know this certainly isn’t the case.

I don’t use any AV on any of my machines, with the exception of Defender on my Windows 10 VM and only then because it’s built-in. As @Darkfire says, and what has been said many times on this subject, the best form of AV is Common Sense v1.0.1.

The consensus here is that Defender is all you need and I tend to agree with that, installing anything over and above that is, for me at least, a waste of clock cycles. However, for those running Common Sense v1.0.1 then that must also include regular system updates and offline backups of your data, as nothing is perfect.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Looks like most here agree thet windows defender is ok as a standalone AV

But as @Anonymous says common sense is the best AV to use Smiley

i also use Malwarebytes and Ccleaner Thumbs_Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to say there is one down side to running Common Sense v1.0.1; as it is part of the Wet Ware Kernel there is no ability to flash upgrade it, the version you run is the version installed during the manufacturing process.

Some have tried to ‘upgrade’ it based on A.I. methods, and for some it works but others have found it fails to retain state over a period of time.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

@MartyPop wrote:

In addition, Windows Defender doesn't slow down your PC.

actually it does https://www.av-comparatives.org/performance-tests/ https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/ just not as badly as some others

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Years ago I decided not to bother with AV like some of you. After six months I noticed strange behaviour so installed avg. On scanning it picked up hundreds of infections presumably from flash powered drive by downloads.

I'm not exactly a big surfer either.

If you want to use the Internet like that then do it using a virtual machine. This will lower your disk of infection to your main machine and can be backed up /restored quickly. 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I use Kaspersky but have considered Windows Defender.

Kaspersky gives me things like Password Manager, On screen Keyboard and Safe Money for when doing online transactions.

I tend to think that these 'extras' are there in an attempt by Kaspersky to set their products aside from the likes of Windows Defender and other freebies, recognising the threat to their business.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I actually use Kaspersky on most of my machine - a multi user license - but on my Win 10 laptop I use defender because I can't be bothered (too mean) to get another license

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Another vote for Kaspersky here. I like the safe money facility for banking etc.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RJM
Rising Star

You might like to peruse this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL4BJoA9L7M

If you want something a little better than Defender for free than you could try Sophos Home.