cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need Adobe Flash with MS Edge in Windows 10?

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Do I need Adobe Flash with MS Edge in Windows 10?

Being a non-tech sort of person, I'm confused Sad if I need Adobe Flash with MS Edge (or any browser) in Windows 10?

I note that sometimes the jigsaw piece Capture.PNG comes up in the Edge top bar, so Flash is blocked. 

Looking at the help below, I can turn it on and off.

However,  when I went to one website, it needed me to download the Flash player to upload some photos.

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-10-edge.html

So, do I need it? What does it do? Is it better on or off? Or am I just overthinking it?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do I need Adobe Flash with MS Edge in Windows 10?

Flash is moribund so I would say you can do without it. If you watch video on BBC or YouTube then they now support HTML5 but as to why that site needed it then I suspect its a bit of a throwback in need of an update.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Grab a copy of Chrome as it has Flash built in and is kept up to date by Google for you as part of the browser updates. As it doesn't cost, there is no harm in having multiple browsers and just using the appropriate browser for a given website.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Flash was great when it first came out, as it filled a nice hole in the market (mainly to show videos). However, since then many security issues have been found with it, and (from my experience at least) it slows down / crashes the browser on a regular basis.

There are now many better technologies available - HTML5, as others have mentioned - and many sites will intelligently work out what you have and use it. And flash for mobile devices is no longer being developed by Adobe.

(native) iPhone stopped using flash some time ago, and Chrome will need you to "click through" to use flash.

However, there are many sites that have been "lazy" and have stayed with flash, and there's not much you can do, other than use another site, or whinge at them.