Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do AV impact on your PC

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Do AV impact on your PC

have always wondered which AV program slows your PC  Roll_eyes  and to what extent it impacts your performance ,,, well have a look here  Wink
http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/84482-impact-security-software-system-performance-investigated/
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
10 REPLIES 10
NedLudd
Grafter

Re: Do AV impact on your PC

Hmmmm, where is Norton I wonder?  Undecided
Geoff,
York.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

They're still waiting for the results... Grin
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Norton has been one of the lowest since about 2011 when they worked out a new way of doing it.
I switched to Kaspersky for 2014 and that was horrendous at PC boot up time. Gone back to the latest Norton Security 2015 and you wouldn't know it was there.
Also with Kaspersky I was always 2 Firefox versions behind whilst they caught up. Norton is on the ball and new Firfox versions never have any reported compatibility issues.
Let's be careful out there !
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It depends a lot on the age/spec. of the computer.  If you haven't got enough RAM to satisfy the thirst of the AV software so it starts to use the page file then your computer will slow to a crawl. 
NedLudd
Grafter

I've been a N.I.S. user for 10+ years now. Even in the dark days, N.I.S. never impacted on my systems severely enough to be even a minor problem!
I'm just surprised it wasn't included in this article and wonder why?
Geoff,
York.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Ned, I think that says more about your system than it does about NIS - although it is vastly improved from the 'dark days'. 
If only Apple would take a leaf out of Norton's book and speed-up the instalation of their PC software.  Or are they trying to make it so slow and painful you'll give up and switch to a Mac?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Norton have ruled themselves out of all testing by AV Comparatives as they won't participate in some of the tests.
I can't remember the details as it was a few years back
This is the link to the original review and earlier ones http://www.av-comparatives.org/performance-tests/
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I seem to recall Norton pulling out because they were not happy with the testing methodolgy.
I 'think' Nortons strategy now is work off whitelists. Instead of performing the long, instrusive scan. They compare the file(s) against the whitelist for version, length and checksum which is considerably quicker.
NIS 2015 is a complete rewrite from the ground up and was possibly forced after the source code leak in India a few years back.
Let's be careful out there !
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Avast now working on Windows 10 (for all who don't trust the built-in 'Defender'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
philipr06
Grafter

I have tried them all and finally plumped with Panda.
Never had a problem with it and absolutely no impact on performance.
Scan computer with malewarebytes and adwcleaner every couple of weeks and they never find anything.