cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dlink DSL-2640B wireless power?

Omahn

Dlink DSL-2640B wireless power?

Does anyone know what power the wireless aerial puts out on the DSL-2640B? The signal seems a bit weak around my house compared to my old Belkin and Linksys routers so I'm considering the purchase of a new aerial but I don't want to go over the legal limits. The info seems to be missing off the DLink website and the web interface only gives 'High/Medium/Low' under the transmit power option.
Thanks, Paul.
4 REPLIES 4
samuria
Grafter

Re: Dlink DSL-2640B wireless power?

Most router are in the region of 400- 500 mw the power the router puts out doesnt help. Lets say we are in a field and I use a public address system I use a 1KW so you at the back can hear me fine problem is when you speak you only have a 32 mw output so I cant hear you.
So you may be able to pick the router up 10 doors away but if you cant send back to the router it simply wont work as you cant tell it what you want
Omahn

Quote from: samuria
Most router are in the region of 400- 500 mw the power the router puts out doesnt help. Lets say we are in a field and I use a public address system I use a 1KW so you at the back can hear me fine problem is when you speak you only have a 32 mw output so I cant hear you.

Understood.
Quote from: samuria
So you may be able to pick the router up 10 doors away but if you cant send back to the router it simply wont work as you cant tell it what you want

We're not talking 10 doors here. We're talking 10 metres within my own house! I know that my laptops have the required signal strength as everything works fine with other routers from Linksys and Belkin even at greater distances (up to 25 metres). It's strange that the Dlink appears to put out such a weak signal in comparison.
samuria
Grafter

It could be its antena is not as good as other or its pattern is funny have you tried the antena in different positions ie vertical, horizontal sometime a slight turn can make a lot of difference.
Radio is a law unto its self it sometimes works fantastic out of the box or its a pain in the bum
democdesignforu

To increase coverage simply use a +5 or +9dB gain antenna.
It will increase the gain on send and receive.
Most routers power is at max 17/18 dBm
To translate this to distance in free space/fresh air no obstacles like walls, buildings/trees, divide by 10 and take the antilog.
The antilog of 1.7 is 50.11
Hence 17dBm will reach around 50 metres.
There is an Ovislink wifi router with a 22 dBm output, but as to it's recieve sensitivity I don't know.
Antilog of 2.2 is 158.48, around 3 times the distance in fresh air.
At the end of the day you must perform site survey tests/ walk around with a laptop running "netstumbler" for instance.
Willi.