cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display problems

dgreen007
Grafter

Display problems

For some reason my PC's display doesn't always work.
It's intermittent but most of the time there is nothing on the screen.
The Monitor works fine as I have tested on another PC.
I've tried taking the Graphics card out and then pushing it back in - this doesn't solve the problem.
I'll reboot several times until the display appears.
It's very strange as the problem comes and goes but now it's mostly not working,
The graphics card is Nvidia Geforce 5200.
The PC is a 6 year old Mesh with an AMD Athlon - running XP.
I would guess that the problem lies with the graphics card but I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions or ideas as how to solve this one.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Rich
Grafter

Re: Display problems

When the screen is blank, try moving the mouse.  If the display shows while the mouse is moving, check the screen-saver time setting.  If it's set to zero, give it a value, say 10, and see if that fixes it.
I've only seen this once, but was also an NVidia card on XP.
Richard
dgreen007
Grafter

Thanks Richard, I have tried the mouse idea but no joy I'm afraid.
How can I test to see if the Graphic card is at fault?
If it's the graphic card then I'd be happy to buy a new one.... what do I need to consider before I buy a new card.
How do I check for compatability, is it the processer/XP - what else do I need to know?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: dgreen007
How can I test to see if the Graphic card is at fault?

The same way you tested the monitor, try it in another computer.
Quote from: dgreen007
If it's the graphic card then I'd be happy to buy a new one.... what do I need to consider before I buy a new card.
How do I check for compatability, is it the processer/XP - what else do I need to know?

Compatibility is determined by the slot on your motherboard.  There are two common types, PCI-E (x16) and AGP (which is almost obsolete now) plus some older or more obscure types.  You could have a look at the guide here http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/AGP.htm , although there is rather too much detail.  If you have the manual for your motherboard, that will tell you what type you need.
dgreen007
Grafter

I don't have another PC with an AGP slot nor do I know of anyone who has?
This PC has an ASUS motherboard with an AGP slot for the graphic card (I'm pretty sure it's AGP as It's brown which I believe is an indicator of it's type)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

One possibility is to ask a local PC Repair shop if they have an old working one you could borrow on the basis of you would buy a replacement from them if needed.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dgreen007
Grafter

Thanks Strat, great idea.....
I have now found out that the graphic card is not at fault, it is a boot up problem (see new post 8.1.10 - Boot Problem)
Any help would be much appreciated.