Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Boot Failure

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Disk Boot Failure

Following a trojan getting on my computer and messing up my files I reinstalled windows which appeared to go ok but I am now getting the message " Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk and press enter"
On doing this everything is up and running fine.
I can also boot up using the ultimate boot disk.
Have managed to load the recovery console from the reinstallation disk but the Menu is only on the screen for a second then the computer boots up.
I am certain the boot up order in the BIOS is correct, would welcome any suggestions as this is driving me nuts.
Computer is approx 18 months old and has never failed to start up so I would doubt it is a drive failing.
Thanks for your help.
Using windows XP
We are born into history and history is born into us.
7 REPLIES 7
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Disk Boot Failure

Sounds like the Master Boot Record has been corrupted. If you can get into the recovery console from the XP boot CD, the type fixmbr at the prompt.
samuria
Grafter

if the above doesnt work from the same prompt try
fixboot c:
have you only got one drive?
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

I Have 2 Drives.
Many thanks for your help I have managed to sort the problem out after burning the midnight oil.
In the Bios Menu there is a onboard devices configuration menu, The LAN boot ROM was shown as disabled but after enabling it everything booted up OK.
Don't ask me any technical questions, this was just a matter of trial and error on my part.
If anyone can explain what the LAN boot ROM is it would add to my limited knowledge and might help someone else who has this problem.
Denzil
Grafter

New one on me. A little Googling tells me a LAN boot ROM is a memory chip on the motherboard with a basic boot image, which allows the PC to boot from a network operating system, rather than a local one. Why having it switched off would cause your problem I have no idea. Smiley
samuria
Grafter

The boot rom isnt used much today but it used to be very popular as it was an eprom so you didnt need a HD and you couldnt hack the pc but if you wanted to change the boot up you had to blow a new chip. It sounds as if there is a sor tof one on your MB which calls the boot sector of the hard drive strange but never mind
zubel
Community Veteran

As has been pointed out, a LAN boot ROM allows a computer to pull their boot image directly from a network source, instead of a local disk.
It's often used in corporate environment to provision new machines without having to drag out a Windows / Linux CD - you merely boot the installation directly off the network.
We use it here at work to boot live images for our render nodes, which run directly across the network - it saved us nearly £3,000 worth of hard drives and means I can update our node image instantly.
In tihis case, I find it odd that turning it off caused the machine to fail to boot - although there is certain latitude allowed within a BIOS as to how the boot order actually works. 
Out of interest - what BIOS type is it?  (Award / AMI / Phoenix) ? 
B.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Barry,
Its a Phoenix BIOS.
The Motherboard is a ASUS P5N-E SLI
Perhaps when I was reinstalling windows I made the computer part of a network so I wonder if that has caused my problem ?
You may be wondering why I did this, well I was not sure if it would still connect to the internet if I did not make it part of a network.
No laughing please at my error this is only the second time I reinstalled windows and last time it went OK with no problems.
As you can guess I am not very computer savvy.