Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable the touch pad on a Windows 7 Laptop

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Disable the touch pad on a Windows 7 Laptop

When I plug my mouse into the laptop, on Windows Vista..... a popup window informs me that the touch pad has been disabled..... Laptop is a DELL Inspiron 1545...
Missus laptop is also a Dell, but different model... running W7.... however the touchpad is still active when the mouse is plugged in.....
I have been to Control Panel, Devices, and tried to find the necessary "disable touchpad on insertion of mouse" but cannot find anything..... any offers? Smiley
13 REPLIES 13
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Disable the touch pad on a Windows 7 Laptop

Have a look at this http://seoroot.com/blog/computing/hardware/how-to-auto-disable-touchpad-on-synaptics.html .  Of course this only works with Synaptics touchpad driver software and no guarantee that option is still there, but worth a try.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks..... I think the Dell do use the Synaptics driver..... so it should be ok.... will give it a try.... (when she isn`t looking !).
(the reason behind the "disable" is because she absolutely trashed the touchpad keys on my old Dell laptop, within about 3 months of having it..    Cry     
.. I had the machine for 2 years before her... but hardly ever used the touchpad)

By disabling it on her new machine, may just make it last more than 3 months ! ! ! ...
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I disabled the touchpad on a Dell (Vista) laptop a little while ago in order to avoid confusion to it's user.
Done via the touchpad driver options similar to above, it's not a control panel feature.
Most Dell's I've seen use Synaptics and can do that.
shutter
Community Veteran

Ah.... now you mention it... I think I went to the Dell drivers page, and dowloaded the Dell Tpad driver....
Thanks guys... great stuff.  Wink 
shutter
Community Veteran

This morning I went to the Dell Drivers page, but it appears that there is no version for Windows 7.... will have a look at the other linky later....
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

On my relatively old Dell laptop I can disable/enable the touchpad using the blue 'fn' key and one of the number keys which has a blue rectangle (same shape as the touchpad) symbol, not automatic with mouse insertion but reliable and (I think) OS independent.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: shutter
... I went to the Dell Drivers page, but it appears that there is no version for Windows 7....

Typical of Dell and typical of Windows 7 at-home installations, which tend to settle for generic Microsoft touchpad drivers!  You may need to download the Synaptics touchpad drivers for Windows 7 from the Synaptics web site.  Ideally you would first ensure those are the correct drivers but they probably wouldn't install if they weren't so even a shot in the dark is not very risky.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for that. ReedRichards  Wink
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Just playing with a Dell Inspiron 1525.  That uses an Alps touchpad driver.  The Vista version has the option you want to disable the touchpad when an external mouse is inserted.  It looks like you'ld have to hunt around for a Windows 7 Alps driver. 
shutter
Community Veteran

OK.... thanks for the continued interest.....  Wink
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

My daughter's Dell Inspiron N1550, recently bought, has a key (to enable/disable touch pad) located between F12 and Insert keys.  I wonder if this will help.  Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Did you resolve this issue, Shutter?  I'm pretty sure the solution is there to be found if you are courageous enough to hunt down and try out the touchpad driver software.
shutter
Community Veteran

No. ! ! ... Haven`t had time to get on her laptop, cos she is always using it....IF I remember, I may have a chance next Monday morning when she is out for the morning !... I`ll be looking back on this thread to remind myself of the options...
Thanks for the continued interest  Wink  will report on here if I manage to do it !...