cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable SSID Broadcast on thompson 585v7

bulb

Disable SSID Broadcast on thompson 585v7

How do i disable Disable SSID Broadcast on thompson 585v7 wireless router.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Not applicable

Re: Disable SSID Broadcast on thompson 585v7

If you are using Vista, don't disable SSID broadcast. Microsoft don't advise it. I did post a link and the corresponding Word document somewhere but can't seem to find it on search.  It seems that it does very little to aid security.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

My Thomson isn't connected at the moment so I can't confirm details for disabling SSID broadcast. However based on a post I made concerning disabling wireless the setting is probably accessed as follows:
Browse to the router web interface (192.168.1.254)
Login to the router using the Administrator account
Click Home Network
Click Interfaces
Click WLAN in the body of the page
Click Configure at top right
Is the SSID setting on the page now displayed? if so tick/untick as required then
Click Apply at the bottom of the page.
Whether one should or should not broadcast SSID is a matter for user choice. The document referred to by poppy might be Connecting to non-broadcast wireless networks in Windows Vista. However for Windows in general see also Non-broadcast Wireless Networks with Microsoft Windows.
David
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just checked on mine, that is correct, a question, mine shows Thomson, then a number, I take it that can be changed to any thing, like, "It mine clear off"  I think when I changed it to blank a while ago I had trouble logging my own in to it and had to reset to default  (XP Laptop)  I dont think I had to put the ssid into the laptop, and hiding the type of router would  give a roamer no  help to hack
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The SSID on mine also begins with Thomson but changing it to anything should be OK.
Those who just want it to "work" might find it best to stick to alphanumeric characters; spaces can be used but these can cause some utilities to break, so best avoided. Length is up to 32 characters but sticking to not more than 31 leaves room for a string terminator that is sometimes required.
David
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The Daughter's work one down town - A solicitors has the firms name as SSID, Several others also, A pub with open just has the Router, nothing is useful these days