cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct modem/router replacement for Home Hub that can adopt ExpressVPN....?

FIXED
Kvwloon
Hooked

Direct modem/router replacement for Home Hub that can adopt ExpressVPN....?

So, long story.... son was playing Xbox Live and was foolish enough to get someone unknown who threatened him with a Denial Of Service attack. (Son says internet went off for several minutes, but we didn’t notice it. 

To prevent this in future and hide our IP, I’m looking to get an Express VPN account, but to protect the Xbox, which is wireless connected via BT Whole Home Mesh, I need to replace the Plusnet modem/router with one that can be flashed with Express VPN. I bought a Netgear R7000 which Curry’s told me is a combined router/modem, for DSL, and which Express VPN list as one they recognise to support.   I go to fit the Netgear, but it’s immediately obvious it’s got no receptacle to plug the phone line in. There’s little point in keeping the Home Hub as a modem, then connected to the Netgear as a router, and then WiFi via Whole Home mesh. The Netgear WiFi benefit is lost as a benefit, as the mesh set up is already excellent.

So, to me, the question is can anyone recommend a combined modem/router that will directly replace the Plusnet Home Hub, be flashable with Express VPN and protect everything that connects with WiFi, such as the Xbox, and work with the excellent Whole Home mesh?    The Netgear r7000 goes back to the shop tomorrow!

Thank you in advance, much appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Direct modem/router replacement for Home Hub that can adopt ExpressVPN....?

As you now know, the R7000 is just a router, but Netgear also do the D7000 whicj does have a built in modem. Don't know if it works with your choice of VPN.

That said, I am not sure a VPN will help, how was the DOS attack started? Was it via your IP address or was it via your son's User Name on Xbox?

VPN's seem tobe getting very fashionable, but may not be the best way to protect your network.

Kvwloon
Hooked

Hmm, I’m not too up on the Xbox Live, son says the attacker knew our IP address and roughly where we are geographically. Talking to IT at work they explained it’s no great skill to do that, but it spooked us at the time. He believes both his Xbox and iPad access went off for several minutes. I have a feeling it could have been more his user profile that was affected as wife and I didn’t notice any service interruption, and we were glued to our iPads as usual!  My thinking is just internet advice led on this, IT seemed to think most modern modern modems would recognise and drop DOS attacks, but the Xbox world advice seems to be hide your IP behind a VPN, and if Xbox is connected by WiFi, get a modem/router that is VPN configured.   If that’s wrong, or there’s a better approach though I’m happy to get better or more current info.

Thank you for answering, appreciate it.

I might replace the r7000 with a d7000, on the assumption it’s current, likely better performer than the Home Hub, and likely supported by Express VPN

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Reboot the router and you will (likely) get a different IP address.

Cost = zero.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

That's correct.  Plusnet charge you extra for a fixed IP address.  Turn off the Home Hub for a few minutes, turn it back on again and it will re-connect with a new IP address.

Kvwloon
Hooked

Yep, did that the same night and confirmed with IP Chicken that it had worked. Just wanted to stop the possible intrusion happening again. I think he’s learn’t a valuable lesson, so I might just return the Netgear and provided it doesn’t happen again, just chalk it up. Thank you.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

One of the popular scam phone calls tells you that your IP address has been compromised and offers assistance (at an extortionate price, no doubt).  Whereas for most people the solution is simple and entirely non-technical.

Kvwloon
Hooked

Thank you. I’m pretty undecided whether or not to bother with a pretty convoluted set up that would be Plusnet Home Hub just as a modem, then add the Netgear as the router, then the Whole Home as the WiFi distributor, then add a VPN account.

Or just reset my IP address periodically or if it happens again until such time as VPN providers support combined modems/routers. 

If it doesn’t happen again, and as it seems to be no real big deal ultimately, i’ll likely just see if it happens again.

Any opinions welcome though. If it’s being increasingly seen as necessary to go VPN. Or not.

thank you all.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Fix

If by Plusnet Home Hub you mean Plusnet Hub One then this will not work as you cannot configure it just as a modem.

Looking at the D7000 data sheet this supports VPN and has the modem built in http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/D7000.pdf

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Kvwloon
Hooked

Thank you. Good info ref the Home Hub. I think Thats it then, if it happens again, buy the D7000. My only reticence is ExpressVPN didn’t list it and kept referring me back to th R7000, which would mean i’d need a new modem as well. Thank you all, hopefully the D7000 will be on sale after Christmas, until then will stay as I am.

thank you all, much appreciated.