cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital photograpy, what do you do with the photographs?

seanbranagh
Grafter

Digital photograpy, what do you do with the photographs?

I have a friend who knows absolutely nothing about computers nor does he have any interest. He is only in his 20's.
I have spent the past 2 years trying to convince him of the benifits of having a computer, if not for himself then for his daughter who will obviously be learning about computers at school.
One thing I asked him was if he had a digital camera. When he said yes I asked him what he does with the photos. He said he prints them in Boots then deletes them from the camera!
What if he wants more copies in the future?
Is there many people nowdays still without a computer who are using a digital camera in this insane way?
10 REPLIES 10
Be3G
Grafter

Re: Digital photograpy, what do you do with the photographs?

Nothing insane about it. The market for consumer film cameras is pretty much non-existent, so if you want to buy a camera you won't have much choice other than digital. And bear in mind that digital used even in that way still has advantages over film, e.g. ability to delete photos and browse them on an LCD screen. So whilst it might be a little unorthodox, I would be very reluctant to call it ‘insane’ or anything derogatory.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Yes, I understand the other advantages of digital photography. What I do find insane and what I was asking about is not keeping a digital copy of the photographs. With 35mm cameras after you get your prints you have the negitives from which you can get further copies. My friend has nothing but a print. Even without a computer there are machines that will transfer your photos to cd. That is what I was curious about. Is there lots of people who just print and delete like my friend?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you transfer your photo's to computer you can correct them for certain errors, in a similar way that a professional photographer can give improve the prints got from negatives in a film camera.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have been storing mine for a while, now got a mini scanners and am going back over my old pics, still not taking up much room on my 1TB HD
at least I can find some of my old ones when I want to post on here, got them sorted into different folders, Hols, Work etc, plus the recent Digitals in order take under the camera
Be3G
Grafter

I tend to shoot my photos as 14-bit RAW files so they have a habit of taking up quite a lot of hard drive space. Sad
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've just got my daughter one of these: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/188507
You can use it to copy pictures you want to keep from the camera (via the USB connector) or SD etc card to a USB stick. A USB stick will hold a LOT of photos! (unless you're called Thomas when you'd probably want a USB hard drive).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

got one of these little tidly things, stores my position/veres time when on a trip, then matches up the time to that on the Digi photo and rewrites the location to the XIF  http://www.a-trip.com/help/tutorial
seanbranagh
Grafter

I am a little paranoid about digital photo storage so firstly they are stored on my desktop computer. Secondly there is a copy on my Windows server on a RAID 1 array. Thirdly there is a copy on my Linux server also on a Raid 1 array. Fourthly their is a copy on my vps with Eukhost in case my house burns down. Lastly I regurarly burn the updated photos to DVD to store in my safe bolted to the floor so it is less likely to be damaged in a house fire. After all digital photos are not replaceable!
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
You can use it to copy pictures you want to keep from the camera (via the USB connector) or SD etc card to a USB stick. A USB stick will hold a LOT of photos! (unless you're called Thomas when you'd probably want a USB hard drive).

Grin My Mac's Pictures folder is currently sitting at 26.57GB… and that's only for a couple of thousand photos, a lot of which are just small JPEGs from cameras I owned years ago.
Lurker
Grafter

Mine is currently at 123GB - but Similar to Thomas - most of mine are in RAW, plus a jpeg copy that is openable on other machines.