Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digibox for TV

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Digibox for TV

I have a house in France which I let in the summer.  However, with the Olympics in August, I need to have a TV available - even if it is only the local French TV.  I have an aerial but not a TV.  I do not watch TV in the UK, and so I am unfamiliar with the digital technology.  I do have an old analogue portable TV with a 10" screen from my boating days which would be adequate, and a friend has offered me an old digi-box, which English friends in France have confirmed would work there.
The problem is that the old TV does not have a Scart socket - too old for that.  The digi-box does have a conventional TV antenna input and OUTput.  So my question is whether anyone knows whether a digi-box will work if I use the OUTput from the TV antenna, or whether this is just a pass-through.  In other words, does the digital technology only work with a Scart lead in principle ?
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Digibox for TV

If it is a Freeview / OnDigital digi-box, my older digi boxes only had SCART outputs.
The RF was pass through only.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If it is a satellite receiving digi box ................
You of course need a Satellite aerial
My older SKY box has a tuneable RF out from two sockets.
So you can use it thus           Aerial →→→ SKY Box →→→ TV ( to a tuneable RF TV Channel)
It's a Panasonic TU-DSB20, the type with no HDD record facility.
It also has two SCART sockets, for outputs.

Other models of the same era will have the same facilities.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Google is probably your best bet for info.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

The RF will be pass through only, you will need a scart socket to use the digital box.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shermans
Pro

Thanks to both; that's a great help.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

To get help regarding the "switchover".... you should check out the FAQ`s on this site.....
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/

( I know you are not actually switching over,  and you are asking about "Hardware compatibility, but your question might be there)....
If not.... then you can email them from this page... ( Or telephone them at the number in the box on the bottom right corner of the page)
http://help.digitaluk.co.uk/display/4/kb/optional/index.aspx?tab=opt1&opt=1&c=197&cpc=5fYq4KG2c3MU8h...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

has your TV got red/white/yellow RF sockets?, it is easy to get a scart/RF plug, I am currently using one on a new Hitachi Ani/Digi/DVD unit in holiday home that hasnt got scart, I had a Cheap freeview PVR unit with me so that I could record and use on the rubbish evenings, took me a bit of working out, for some odd reason I had too use the FAV source
dont know the model no as it is firmly screwed to the walll
shermans
Pro

Thanks.  I'll see if I can get one.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: PlusComUK
If it is a Freeview / OnDigital digi-box, my older digi boxes only had SCART outputs.
The RF was pass through only.

Not necessarily.  Wink
We DEFINITELY had a digibox that modulated the chosen digital channel onto an analogue channel and retransmitted it on RF out along with the incoming signals.
You just chose a suitable free one in setup (from 23 to 69 I think) that didn't conflict with existing terrestrial analogue broadcasts, then tune the TV to that channel.
Time to RTFM and/or put the box in setup mode and see what options you have.  Cool
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: dvorak
The RF will be pass through only, you will need a scart socket to use the digital box.

Not necessarily; it depends entirely on the digibox. Check the specs/manual/Google for the particular model in question.
Mathew
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the free view DTR I got cheap was because it had been superseded by an HD model who cares?  its a TVoncics DTR Z500 (without the HD), looks the same as the one on the current web, but no HD and a smaller HD, 250 instead of 500. 
Maplin  30/03/2012
N98LK  Refurb TVon DTR-Z500      1      49.991      VAT 9.998        total 59.99

my first set top boxes didnt have Scart, just RF modulator to pass down the TV cable, had trouble in my area when Chan 5 came out trying to find a suitable channel, I had one of the old ITV ones