Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference of opinion

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Difference of opinion

My Graphics software tells me I have "16bit True colour" set. Desktop/properties/display properties/settings says it's "32bit High colour" Which is right?
Whichever one is set-up, the other one always goes to the other setting...odd!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Difference of opinion

I believe your graphics software is offering an alternative mode to change to, rather than displaying the currently selected mode. This is only a guess however. If you select it in the graphics software does it change the mode?
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well, there's the $64,000 question, actually seeing the difference between high and true colour can be quite fanciful but, no I don't "think" the graphics software actually changes anything at all, which probably bears out your theory.
Many thanks
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

That terminology looks wrong for both descriptions. Are you sure you got the true/high colours the right way around
High colour normally refers to a 16 bit pallet allowing up to 65000 colours.
True colour normally refers to a 24 bit pallet allowing 16 million colours but normally graphics cards now use 32 bit pallets for true colour.