Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel Bug - one for the Plus Net techs

AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Diesel Bug - one for the Plus Net techs

This is an odd topic, but it could have an impact on all of the PN customers. Maybe the PN management team would like to consider?
The diesel fuel for standby generators can be infected by a "diesel bug" which can cause the generators to fail. More detail here. Is PN protected from this?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
2 REPLIES 2
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Diesel Bug - one for the Plus Net techs

@AlaricAdair
Is PN protected from this?

I'm not sure TBH but I will speak with our facilities management team about it, I'll come back to you when I have.
EDIT: I've not flagged this with our facilities manager who is looking into it.
Follow up:
We've spoken with the engineer who looks after any diesel powered backup generators we have and they've advised that where as the "diesel bug" is genuine, the chances of that affecting us are remote. This is mainly because the percentage of biodiesel in fuel has increased over recent years which negates a lot of the problem. As the bug itself lives in residual water it eats away at the steel within the fuel tank and we think it could take upwards of a decade for that to cause us a problem.
On the back of those comments we'll be taking extra care by syphoning off the bottom 5% of the fuel in our tanks once per year,
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Re: Diesel Bug - one for the Plus Net techs

Thanks Adam.  The advice we received differs a little in interpretation:
Petro-diesel absorbs 50 parts (water) per million (diesel)
Bio-diesel absorbs 1500 parts (water) per million (diesel).
An increasing bio-diesel percentage would increase the water load in the tank? Isn't that the reverse of what your engineer said?
We're no experts on this having only recently discovered the topic.  Ah well, when your diesel injectors explode with superheated water just after slime has clogged your genny's  fuel filters you can have the satisfaction of saying "I told you so"  Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.