cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diary Application

Mav
Fixes: 515

Diary Application

I'm thinking of writing a diary - not as comprehensive as Pepys but you get the picture Smiley
I wish I had started this 30 or 40 years ago Sad I have found some old diaries from the mid-eighties where I wrote some sketchy notes about feelings, troubles, girlfriends and the like which I've found interesting reads (my, how I've changed since then Wink )
I could do it in Outlook but that doesn't have a search facility which I might need (not sure, though, having never done this before) or a method of protection from prying eyes. Also, I'm not certain how it would cope as the diary grows.
I've also thought of using Word but not sure if that is really suitable.
Has anyone cone across suitable sotfware (free or otherwise) that they could recommend?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Diary Application

Not used it myself but this looks like it will do what you want, editor, buit in search and also you can encrypt the date.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/keynote-newfeat/
also available as a portable app
http://www.pendriveapps.com/keynote-nf-portable-notebook/
Something to get the ball rolling at least Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you could use a Blog  program,
a resume of free programs here  http://ezinearticles.com/?Comparing-Free-Blogging-Software&id=41365
Mav

@adiewoo I've downloaded Keynote to have a look at. Gonna be out most of day so will let you know later.
@pierre Not sure about blogging but will have a look.
Thanks Smiley

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Not applicable

If one uses software such as Keynote, what would happen if that software became obsolete or incompatible with later operating systems?  Word documents are generic and are unlikely to be affected. Word is what I use, password protected, although I don't know why I bother because there is nothing much of any interest.  Sad
Mav

I can see your point, poppy.
Perhaps I'm over-complicating something that should be simple although I was looking for something that I could just click on a date for a new entry or review a previous one.
How have you done your diary in Word? I was thinking of a folder per year with sub-folders for each month and one word doc for each month. A bit unwieldy, perhaps...
I'm open to suggestions.

Not applicable

Well, it is very simple indeed, with very little formatting. I have a Word document put inside a folder and labeled with the year. 
The document has twelve pages - one for each month.  Each page has a table on it of only one cell deep and two columns.  The reason that I use the table is to confine the month to that page.  Then I just put the date in bold and carry on from there.  I put birthdays and what-have you at the top above the table. 
There's not much room doing it this way but it is only for basic stuff, although I understand that some people like to record their feelings about things and there's nothing wrong with that.
Oh, another thing is that it is password protected even though there's nothing much in it.  At the end of the day I upload it to Humyo.com in case the computer goes down.
Have enclosed a bit of it for you to see. I am sure that others could do it better but this method has suited by simple requirements for a number of years.