Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial-up?

materialman
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Dial-up?

If broadband becomes unavailable, do Plusnet have an emergency dial-up service? If so how is this accessed. I don't have a dial-up modem any longer but I was thinking of getting one for such an eventuality. If Plusnet don't have this, I guess I can use another standby dial-up service from another provider?
8 REPLIES 8
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Dial-up?

A dial-up service would require your voice phone line to still be working - so 3G or 4G mobile broadband, if available, might be a better option, in case your phone line is completely dead.
These are the dial-up numbers that are still listed in my member centre under Connection Settings, Connection Details:
Dial-up access (BT Line): 1470, 0845 1400101
Dial-up access (non-BT Line): 0845 1400101
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi materialman,
Unfortunately we don't offer dial up anymore at all. As ejs stated; your best bet would probably be to rely on 3G/4G.
I'm sorry that this doesn't resolve the potential scenario.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
materialman
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

OK thanks I guess that is an answer. I have no dialup numbers in my member centre at Connection Settings>Connection Details.
Strange though how there is a whole section within the support pages on dialup at http://www.plus.net/support/dial-up/setup/connection_guide.shtml
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

We still have customers with active dial up services but we don't allow new sign ups to it. (Our sign up process doesn't actually support it any more either).
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Kelly
We still have customers with active dial up services but we don't allow new sign ups to it. ...

It used to be part of the service offered by PN for just such an occasion; i.e. when ADSL failed for whatever reason and there was still a phone service available, which I guess needn't necessarily have been the line which the ADSL was provided on.  I know I've used it on at least one occasion, and a friend has as well.
Does that mean this service is no longer available even to customers who qualified for it in the past?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

To my knowledge the 0845 numbers will work for anybody. They're chargeable on a ppm basis though and aren't free like the old 0808 access we used to offer in the event of a fault.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

avatastic
Grafter

If one has to fall back to dial up, what configuration do we use with regards to filters?
I'm guessing in a filtered socket as dial up uses the same voice frequencies, same as if we were using a fax machine / sky box?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes, local rate dial-up requires connection to the phone side of a filter. Login requires just the username (no realm) with a dial-up modem.
David